Chivas Regal 12 Year

Peated Blend

Chivas Regal // Scotland

1. Scott_E

Sipping a bit listening to a band across the canal at the Rod 'n Reel in Chesapeake Beach. A light and fruity nose with hints of vanilla and brown sugar. Soft palate that arrives sweet. Brown sugar profile carries over. Walnuts or pecan notes arrive but leave as quickly as they came. The palate is left with a small amount of oak, white pepper and traces of sugar and leaves the mouth slightly bitter. Overall, an easy, simple blend. Straight forward, safe and unadventurous. [81/100][Tasted: 8/22/15]
  2. Brianjamartin

3. zt27

1.0
    Eww no. I'd rather drink motor oil. Save your money and buy any number of cheaper and better blended whiskys.
  4. to1ne

5. Blambright

6. Alexey-Migutsky

7. Luis-Cartezani

8. kallumama

Name: Chivas Regal 12 Age: 12 years old ABV: 40% Setup: Two glencairn glasses with an ounce pour each. I put 5 ml water in one of them. I let the drinks rest for 15 mins before tasting them. Appearance: Golden sunshine, legs seemed skinny but seemed to hold on. Not too runny, just seemed to hang on to the glass. With water: same color but the legs have gotten skinnier and runnier. Nose: Right off the bat I got some spice on the nose, with a hint of citrus. I was looking for some smoke i could not get any. Also got a light oakyness to it. With water: So much of the nose is lost with water. The initial burst of spice is gone and so is the light oakyness that i was initially getting. Water did this dram no flavors. 84/100 Taste: Felt watery and bitter with a hint of sweetness, go a definite feel that something was missing. It felt very uneventful especially after the nose promised more. This was disappointing. With water: The disappointment was even more pronounced with the addition of water. I could not get any additional notes of any interest. Just more watery bitterness. 78/100 Finish: The finish was short and bitter, leaving a very unpleasant after taste that one might not want to linger. With water: The water actually made the finish more bearable by subduing some of the flavors which helped give it a more gentler landing. 79/100 Conclusion: As expected this blend did not set the world on fire. I have only tried a handful of blends and if i was to compare i would definitely rate JWBL12 higher than this one right here. With CR12 things started off with a good promise as the nose was very pleasant, however that promise was short lived as taste and finish were just not able to live up to the expectations. I am not sure if I would keep a bottle of this in my bar but since nearly all my friends are CR12 fanatics, I guess I will have to oblige. I can see why many would like this, as it seems pretty unoffensive and straight forward but its definitely not for me. Overall Score: 80/100
  9. Jay-Buddle