Whip Saw Rye

2. mattst

3. Blastus

Trellis Restaurant
  4. Generously_Paul

When I got my latest batch of samples from @PBMichiganWolverine and saw this rye mixed in I was expecting the worst. I’m not a rye fan to begin with and with a name like Whip Saw I had the feeling it was going to be rough, hot and fit for cleaning out my drains. Let’s see what’s really going on here, shall we? This is a blend of different undisclosed whiskies aged up to 7 years, then finished in wine barrels that held Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon (I’m a sucker for a good wine finish so maybe this won’t be that bad after all). Bottled at 45% ABV and I have no info on chill filtration or colorant, but the color is a beautiful burnt orange like autumn leaves. The mash bill is 76% rye, 21% corn and 3% malted barley. The nose is all wine. Dry Cabernet and very fruity...intriguing. Minty rye, red grapes, low sugar grape jelly and prunes. Almonds, cherries and marzipan. Sweet and tart raspberries and blackberries. A bit of a medicinal/doctors office note, and believe it or not, children’s Amoxicillin (you know, the pink antibiotic that tastes like gum). Caramel, toffee, vanilla, incredibly rich and savory after it sits a while. Water tones down the wine notes a bit and brings out more of the rye spice and some apples. Very creamy after sitting with water. The palate begins with distinct wine notes up front with rye spice right behind it. Light mint, tart berries and apples. Sweet grapes, cherries, marzipan and almonds. Caramel apples, vanilla, wine soaked oak, more rye, cloves and nutmeg. Water has the same effect as with the nose. A light to medium bodied mouthfeel that is dry and mouthwatering at the same time. The finish is long, very long. So long I was still tasting it hours later. Red wine, sweet and tart raspberries, dry. To say that I was pleasantly surprised is a gross understatement. This is good, great even. Best rye I’ve ever had (again I’m a sucker for a good wine finish). Wonderfully pronounced wine notes, smooth with almost no alcohol feel to it. Not much here to not like except maybe the finish could have been a bit sweeter and it could have used more depth overall. All in all this is a fantastic rye. For only $50 it’s a great value as well. 4.25 and highly recommended if you are a red wine drinker. Cheers
  5. johnsteinberg07

6. Shippy_Ship

7. worldwhiskies95

Great stuff. Sweet and spicy with notes of cloves, pepper, cinnamon, corn, toffee, prunes, raisins, blackberries, and a little chocolate. Big thanks to @PBMichiganWolverine for including the sample with my Tapatio Excelencia purchase from him.
  8. dubz480

Hat tip to @PBMichiganWolverine for the great recommendation. I had been toying with pulling the trigger on this and after reading his review this afternoon I decided this would be my new addition to the cabinet! Let's just say I was not dissapionted! On the pallette I get an explosion of apples both red and green (think baked not raw) with cinnamon in he background. On the mid palatte you get a lovely raisin note that leads to the long gingerbread and wine oak driven finish. Complex dram that is a delight to sip! For $42.99 I cannot ask for much more! This is not one for the Rye purist but for the Rye adventurist! Best of the splinter group whiskeys! Cheers all!
    BevMo!
  9. PBMichiganWolverine

It’s Friday...which means one thing. Actually a few things, but only one thing I look forward to. A nice dram to cap off a week. Finally opened up this unique rye. I took a wee sip, will take a much bigger dram this evening of course. This rye isn’t for everyone, but if you enjoy rye and you love full bodied low tannic reds, this has your name all over it. I guess initially I anticipated something like High West Midwinter, but easily accessible and reasonably priced. It’s no where close to Midwinter. Sure both are finished in wine, but they’re as different as they can be. Whereas Midwinter evokes Christmas, this reminded me of visiting a Napa merlot winery. You get the spicy rye upfront, with surprisingly tempered heat, but the finish is where the red wine kicks in. In my opinion, it balances out the spice and makes the heat smoother. Red wine finishing for rye is always risky. Both are strong in their own right, and either you’ll get a tug of war mess, or it’ll be a nice partnership. It’s good to see both play well here, neither calling for attention over the other. It’s a unique rye, and at $50, worth it.
  10. stezyk45