Whip Saw Rye

Rye

The Splinter Group // USA

1. Shippy_Ship

2. worldwhiskies95

Great stuff. Sweet and spicy with notes of cloves, pepper, cinnamon, corn, toffee, prunes, raisins, blackberries, and a little chocolate. Big thanks to @PBMichiganWolverine for including the sample with my Tapatio Excelencia purchase from him.
  3. dubz480

Hat tip to @PBMichiganWolverine for the great recommendation. I had been toying with pulling the trigger on this and after reading his review this afternoon I decided this would be my new addition to the cabinet! Let's just say I was not dissapionted! On the pallette I get an explosion of apples both red and green (think baked not raw) with cinnamon in he background. On the mid palatte you get a lovely raisin note that leads to the long gingerbread and wine oak driven finish. Complex dram that is a delight to sip! For $42.99 I cannot ask for much more! This is not one for the Rye purist but for the Rye adventurist! Best of the splinter group whiskeys! Cheers all!
    BevMo!
  4. PBMichiganWolverine

It’s Friday...which means one thing. Actually a few things, but only one thing I look forward to. A nice dram to cap off a week. Finally opened up this unique rye. I took a wee sip, will take a much bigger dram this evening of course. This rye isn’t for everyone, but if you enjoy rye and you love full bodied low tannic reds, this has your name all over it. I guess initially I anticipated something like High West Midwinter, but easily accessible and reasonably priced. It’s no where close to Midwinter. Sure both are finished in wine, but they’re as different as they can be. Whereas Midwinter evokes Christmas, this reminded me of visiting a Napa merlot winery. You get the spicy rye upfront, with surprisingly tempered heat, but the finish is where the red wine kicks in. In my opinion, it balances out the spice and makes the heat smoother. Red wine finishing for rye is always risky. Both are strong in their own right, and either you’ll get a tug of war mess, or it’ll be a nice partnership. It’s good to see both play well here, neither calling for attention over the other. It’s a unique rye, and at $50, worth it.
  5. stezyk45

6. Ryan-Powell

7. Tristy216

Not as spicy as I expected, aging in the wine barrels helps mellow it out. Beautiful.
  8. gjl