Woodford Reserve Double Oaked

Woodford Reserve // Kentucky, USA

1. ccarriglio

2. TrueGoober

Not mind blowing like I hoped it would be. The finish in the extra barrel cuts down on the burnt marshmallow flavor that the original has in spades, and brings forward some dark caramel, vanilla, and a rounded sweetness that’s almost cherry. There’s also an extra bit of astringency now, but that’s a good thing in this case. Overall, very pleasant stuff. It’s got two main problems, 1: smells godlike, but the taste doesn’t follow through. 2: Really needs some sort of acidic brightness to liven up the flavor profile. As it is, it actually tastes a bit watery. Never thought I’d say that about a nicer bourbon, but maybe my taste buds went haywire today.
    12.0 USD per Pour
  3. CherokeeBandits

4. CLMILLS

5. dahlborn

Super smooth
  6. Bourbon_Obsessed_Lexington

This bottle is around 4-5 years old now and in my bourbon infancy got me around to drinking my whiskey neat - and enjoying it! Now it’s 4/5ths empty and largely neglected. I compare quite a lot to it so I figured it was time to open it back up and make sure my memory isn’t totally off the rails. The color is a nice red amber. The nose hits more than a foot away from the glass. Toasted marshmallow, slight furniture polish, lots of buttery caramel. As I walk outside with it there’s a swift change to ripe red raspberries, dry oats and earthy notes. The plate... smooth, thin and fades quickly. If only the flavors could be as robust as the nose. Earthy Lipton tea, burned marshmallow, some vanilla, butterscotch and a tiny bit of anise. I could nose this all night. A cask strength expression could be absurd. As is this was a great entry bottle.
  7. Jason-Baylor

8. naude

9. LicenseToPill

10. eSquared

Toffee, caramel, spicy top, mellow finish