Eagle Rare 17 Year Bourbon (Fall 2016)

Buffalo Trace Antique Collection // Kentucky, USA

RARE
  1. Codiakmaster

OK, nice spice going down
  2. mikepcarney

3. Ryan-Peasley

4. Justin-Stair

5. Travis_George

Fantastic nose. Lots of oak. Decent palate, honey and spice. Finish was smooth with little bite. Overall, little underwhelming. Think it speaks to the low proof. Would struggle paying market for this one.
  6. PBMichiganWolverine

How I love these holiday times with friends and family. I had a few drams of this tonight, courtesy of family over for the holidays. I have no idea how much this costs, but I know it throws off my VFM model out the door. So...is it worth the exorbitant price tag? Nose is INCREDIBLE!!! A 15 out of a 10. Imagine sitting at a three star Michelin restaurant in Lyon, and ordering their creme brûlée. I've never been in a 3 star Michelin restaurant (or 1 for that matter)...but I can imagine this is how their finest creme brûlée would smell. It's a cornucopia of vanilla and burnt sugar. Now for the taste... WTF??? A let down. Way too oaky, and in my most humble opinion...just too much exposure to wood. The oak influences are totally masking the sublime flavors which were teased by the aroma. Really? I can get this palette on a $30 Elijah Craig 12. I've never had Bourbon this old before, but I'm thinking it's not meant to be in oak for 17 years. Finish is complementing the palette...nothing noteworthy of an epiphany...just a tad short of being too astringent. Would it blasphemous if I gave this 3 stars? As amazing as the nose is, everything else is a let down.
  7. kmoen