Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch Bourbon (2017)

Four Roses // Kentucky, USA

1. alto5215

2. Sjthor

3. PBMichiganWolverine

Surprisingly, for all it’s hype and hysteria, I wasn’t impressed by last year’s release. I’ve had the 2016, 2014, and this 2017. 2016 was the best followed by a close second on rhe 2014, and this way behind. It has all the caramel, but with way too much heat, and not the lasting complexity of the 2016 or 2014. Just a quick hot finish. Glad I bought a pour and not the full bottle.
  4. Fettness

Nose: vanilla & caramel as well a a spice I can't quite place but it reminds one of Christmas... Color I find unimportant as it really does not effect my enjoyment of this or any other drink. Taste: very light oil at first, again slight vanilla. most of the flavor drops off for me leaving only burning, an enjoyable burn but still a burn. Adding water is almost a must, just a few drops and it changes completely, the burn takes longer to start letting you enjoy the subtlety longer. All in all it is too subtle for me. I find myself chasing the complexity but never quite catching it.
  5. Dan-Viaches

6. Mild, smooth, delicate taste- not bold and spicy as one might expect at this level of consumer desire - there’s a zillion little flavor profiles going on in this pour, it’s and interesting mix and hard to nail down. I wonder what their angle is on this one? I’m reminded very much of WT diamond, forgiven, and a mild mild blantons.. I’ll taste it again and get back with flavor notes.
  7. mdjensentm