Jameson The Cooper's Croze

Blended

Jameson // Ireland

1. Cornmuse

Enjoyed neat from a glencairn at a local restaurant. I wasn't able to pay as much attention as I wanted, but I hadn't tried this expression before. There are a few expressions in the Jameson line that I enjoy - I like the Caskmates Stout much more than the IPA (surprising since I like hoppy IPAs), I enjoy the regular Jameson from time to time, and I have a great memory of the 18 year. But generally speaking, Jameson isn't in my rotation and I don't own any bottles. That said... This was an acceptable pour. I recall tasting honey and hay, fresh cut lumber, wet barrel wood, and a slight touch of spice. It wasn't nearly as engrossing as I'd hoped. I recall a bit of ethanol and traces of acetone on the nose, along with honey and grass, but otherwise I wasn't able to divine too much from the aroma. I also remember thinking that it tasted like a stereotypical Irish whiskey; sweet, soft and easy to drink. I don't remember thinking, even for a second, that I couldn't wait to have another. I didn't. I feel like I'm being tough on this one. Maybe my taste buds are off tonight, and because of that possiblity I'll be fair and give this another go. But I'll only commit to a pour at a restaurant. I don't need another forgetable bottle of booze in the cabinet. On my scale, a 2.5 is an acceptable, ordinary, mass market, middle of the bellcurve, bottle. Tullemore DEW is an example of 2.5 Irish whiskey for me (I drink it regularly). This might be a half step up from the Tully, but it didn't hold my attention long enough for me to find out.
  2. Bryan-Brady

Prince Hamlet
  6. jhope142

7. RunDramRun

8. Whiskey_Hound

Entry one of the Jameson Whiskey Maker's Series. This one is dedicated to Ger Buckley, the head cooper. An interesting concept. Jameson has always served me as a bar-room bread and butter; even as I've come to outgrow the standard offering, the Black Barrel continues to serve me well. Let's take another step up in price and see if Ireland's most famous brand can deliver the goods. Nose: Shortbread cookie and powdered sugar. Some orange peel, honey, and vanilla (frosting). Fruity notes like apricot, coconut, white/green grape, and gala apple. Initially muted but opens up after about 10 minutes. Palate: Citrusy orange peel, toffee, and malt. Some caramel and vanilla. Big chashew note. Like with the nose, the sherry influence is barely noticeable while the bourbon influence takes the forefront. A bit of date, fig, raisin in the background, but it's really back there. Much more oak driven on the palate as well. Finish: Some red fruit and orange peel. Oak, caramel, brown sugar, and vanilla. A little cinnamon spice on the way out. Moderate in length. Stand out here is the mid-palate into finish transition. Very nice. I'm about halfway through the bottle. I expected to score this a tad bit one higher based on previous tastings, but the lack of complexity was a small detractor here. It's very well-balanced and very enjoyable. Classic Irish, good from start to finish. Good, very good even, but not great. I saw this on sale for $60 down from $70. Either way, I think you can do better for your money. I gave it a 3.75, which just beats out the Black Barrel, even factoring in VFM. If you're a serious Jameson or Irish collector, you won't go wrong with this one. Be warned, there are better options at this price point (Knappogue Castle 14, Redbreast 12, Green Spot). Nevertheless, it's a solid effort and a damn good drop from Jameson.
  9. budde219