The Balvenie Single Barrel 15 Year

The Balvenie // Speyside, Scotland

1. Johnsy3

2. Brian-Moore

Nose: fruity with a hint of oak. A light but refreshing citrus Taste: more and more fruit, some vanilla (once a few drops of water was added), back end with some oak and almost a brown sugar. Smooth and a great sipper to cap off the end of a day. My second favorite Balvenie to only the peat week.
  3. CordovZ

Nose- lemon, caramel, butterscotch, raisins, wood spice Palate- heavy sherry, raisins, dried fruits, cinnamon spice Finish- long finish with notes of sherry and spice Would love to find a first fill cask with a better color to do a true review, but this is the one that I had in front of me. Pretty basic sherried whisky. Nothing really stands out. Nose is good, but has more heat than I like in 46% whisky. Palate is pretty one dimensional with sherry flavors and spice. Just ok.
  4. JZT

5. mdlota

6. austinpetz

7. jdseybold

8. dhsilv2

Stumbled upon a store with these still on the shelves and had a friend who wanted every bottle...so i grabbed 2 for myself and made the store owners a bit happy with the 7 total I left with. Nose - I get their classic vanilla and honey notes no the nose, there's light oak, bread, and I'm getting light notes of red fruits. These are all bourbon barrels but their malt is so sweet and fruity at times. I love it. Taste - Honey, complex vanilla pastries, oak. and the finish leaves me with some dark honey and oak tannins. A very nice complex take on what is an otherwise simple experience with bourbon barrels and classic Balvenie malt. 16 years old and bottled in 2012. These aren't yet endangered but they are getting pretty hard to find. I think I like the new sherry barrels better, but this is an awesome change of pace and really showcases the malt and it comes in at a much lower price than the 25 years and it's way better than the new 12 year.
  9. Andrew-Blodgett

Smooth, caramel, vanilla. Awesome. Very easy drinking.
  10. siNc2