The Macallan Classic Cut

The Macallan // Highlands, Scotland

1. lrslagel

Quality, and my favorite of the Macallans I’ve tried. I think it’s finally giving the Macallan some of the aggression I wish it had to go along with its sweetness.
  2. 4Man

3. Ken-Quamish

4. kjdaniel31

I’d rate it a 4.5; this is everything I love in a sherry bomb but with an amazing spice punch.
  5. dolamroth21

6. Jrhacker

7. Jim-Buddenborg

Easily the best Macallan I’ve had. The best way to put this is like so: if you like Macallan 12 Sherry Oak, it’s that and much more. The nose is pure sweetness: Cherry, raisin, brown sugar. The taste is very similar to the classic Mac12 but MORE. Its everything great about Macallan turned up to 11. This really opens up with a few drops of water. The flavors on the tongue become more complex and enjoyable. Truly an amazing release. This puts the “Edition” line to shame. I hope they turn this into a regular offering instead of a limited one.
  8. LeeEvolved

It’s time for the newest, limited release Macallan: the Classic Cut. This fall 2017 special offering is a NAS re-imagining of the Cask Strength bottling from the early 2000’s. This bottle is even stronger, coming in at 58.4%. The thing is- I don’t think this is truly cask strength. It’s not a single cask and all bottles are the exact same ABV. This is just younger spirit that was probably blended down from somewhere just north of 60%. There is definitely color added because it’s a deep, rich mahogany in the glass. So, what we essentially have here is a test batch for the possible replacement of the standard 12 year old? If that is the case I kind of like it. Here in Virginia this bottle is only $21 ($89+ tax) more than the 12. I’d gladly pay that for the increased ABV. There isn’t much else different between the Classic Cut and the age statement 12 year sherry cask. The nose is red berries, raisins and sugary malt with the extra heat blocking much of the oak. Which, let’s be honest, is probably a good thing when it comes to younger spirit. I’m guessing this stuff is between 7-9 years old. The palate still has the dominating Macallan flavor profile along with a solid showing from some well selected sherry wine casks. I was hoping for a harder hitting version of the Rare Cask, but that didn’t materialize. It’s just a harder version of the 12 year. The reason I say I expected Rare Cask is because the labeling on the bottle and box is kind of similar to what they advertise for Rare. And who wouldn’t love a Rare Cask clone for 1/3 of the price? The finish is long, long, long. The drying aspect of the oak is the only flaw I can actively find. Almost every Macallan I’ve tried (minus the Fine Oak series) leaves your mouth oily and watering. This one cannot do that because of the strength. I’ve come to expect that mouth watering feel from Macallan but it isn’t found here and that’s disappointing. Overall, I really enjoy this one. There’s plenty of bang for the buck, plenty of the Macallan-esque flavor profile, and extra oomph to get you across the finish line when you’re looking to “tie one on”. 4.25 stars. Cheers and Happy New Year, my friends.
  9. Josh1967

10. JPRedman22

Very flavorful, with slight burn at the end. Great aroma that is not overpowering to the sinuses. Unique experience. Good with a small ice cube and/or small splash of water.