Ardbeg 10 Year

Ardbeg // Islay, Scotland

1. beveragesnob

For something so ridiculously peaty this has a lot of nuance. Toffee and the sea
  2. KnotAtWork

3. donman802

4. Ciepiela

5. Juha

6. Thriller

I have to admit that I am a bit of a novice when it comes to Islay whiskys. Its not that I don't have the experience, but rather, its difficult for me to find the notes outside of that peat-y smokey goodness. Many an Islay scotch has been sampled, but not to the extremity that allows me to discern between this Ardbeg 10 and a Peat Monster, for example. Therefore, I shall err to the side of caution and just tell you how I feel when drinking this whisky. I feel good. Not in a way that makes one believe I'm living my best life, but in a way that allows one to accept I've done the best I can with what I've got. When I smell this in my Glencairn I feel a connection to the earth. Not a connection that grounds me, but one that reminds me of Mother Nature and all her beauty and flaws. The taste brings me back to the woods of my youth where no sound was heard. I'm able to ponder for a brief moment and connect with myself outside this reality. All of this may make it sound like I think this whisky is amazing, but its not. This whisky is simply good. And there is nothing wrong with good. Many may argue other Islay scotches are worth their dollar more and I'm not in disagreement with them. I can only state plainly that if I were offered this whisky and no other I'd be quite grateful. There is nothing wrong with a good ol' Ardbeg 10.
  7. mark5teele