Ardbeg Kelpie

Ardbeg // Islay, Scotland

1. helvie-gmail-com

2. Richard-ModernDrinking

Tastes exactly like a watery version of the Committee edition, as it should, but it's still a good dram. That wasn't true of last year's Dark Cove, which was splendid in its Committee clothing but uninspiring in its weaker rendition. Flavors of smoked fish abound.
  3. aukrod

4. mfennessy72

5. DGovender

6. Joh

7. Luc-Grenier

8. Guber

9. Soba45

Usually with the Islay malts I reckon you just can't beat their standard flagship malts e.g. Laphroaig 10, Lagavulin 16, especially once price is factored in. However for Ardbeg I personally believe its the complete opposite. The 10 is ok the Kelpie I much prefer. I was very interested to see the influence of the virgin black sea oak casks and they don't disappoint. When better to try it than Ardbeg day! Sweet, pepper and peat marry together beautifully. Definitely a 4.5 - unfortunately at $135 USD I just can't round up to a 5. The committee release was only $15 more so I thought why not I'll get one. I signed up to the committee on the spot, turned round to get a bottle and they were all gone...damn! Oh well got a free Ardbeg glass as a consolation...
  10. Stve