BenRiach 10 Year

3. gadjet

4. CJWessel

5. WL

6. Dreaming-of-Islay

BenRiach is not as well known as some of its Speyside peers, but perhaps it should be. On the nose, I get stone fruit, like peach, sherry, toffee, and a little hint of ethanol. It is an easy-drinking scotch, with a slightly nutty, sherry-influenced palate, a few streaks of oak and cocoa, and an almost ale-like richness or spiciness. BenRiach 10 ends with a malty finish of good length, with just a little bitterness, copper, and sulfur, but also more pleasant notes of cocoa, citrus acid, and grape. This scotch reminds me of a dilute Aberlour A'bunadh, and is better than Glenfarclas 12. It also comes in a peated version, which I'm looking forward to trying. Thanks to Telex for the sample!
  7. Telex

I am more into Islay whisky, but I kept hearing great things about this dram. It goes down well, nice and complex. It's not my wheelhouse and a bit pricey, but I hold on to a bottle as one to offer friends who have decent taste. I also get to keep them away from my Islay stash at the same time. Win-win.
  8. BigLEE