Black Velvet

Canadian

Black Velvet // Canada

1. distain2003

2. snellulater

I mean it’s fine with some ginger ale
  3. MattBaker_7

4. chi3f

Poured neat because I seem to have lost all self respect. Smell is reminiscent of butterscotch, coconut sun screen, and imminent regret. Taste is surprisingly sweet with whisps of wood smoke that quickly fades to heavily charred brussel sprouts before it is fully passed the teeth. Flavor and enjoyment would easily triple with a little slash of coke and a whole lot of cola.
  5. zcustodio

6. Mastro14

7. Mastro1006

8. Rallie59

1.5
    An unexpected, but not unpleasant, tartness on the nose. Flat taste of the usual baking spices with a wooden undertone. Quick oily linger. Adding ice helps to bring out some sweetness. Fine whiskey for mixing, but not my go to for sipping.
  9. Cornmuse

It's been at least 12 years since I last had this - and then it was mixed with coca cola. I've probably sipped on this bottle once, but I don't recall. The bottle in question was gifted by a family member, is full to the neck but has been opened and has been in my posession for at least 5 years. That said... Black Velvet is a Canadian whisky. In fact, its the number 2 selling Canadian whisky after Crown Royal. Its owned by Heaven Hill and produced in the Black Velvet Distillery in Lethbridge, Alberta. Tasted neat in a glencairn. I let the drink rest for about 5 minutes before evaluating. The pour is a brassy, light color. Not much viscosity to the swirl. The nose has immediate notes of grain alcohol, and something a bit sweeter with fruity notes. Overall the nose is indistinct and thin. On the pallete the thin nature continues. The whiskey is a bit watery, with no appreciable finish. It's not satisfying at all. There's a little drop of sweet, a bit of alcohol and then a flash of white pepper. Finally, there's a bit of a bitter aftertaste. I have no idea what I'll do with the rest of this bottle. This isn't something I'll drink neat again, it's definitely a non-descript mixer. Smooth? Sure, because there's nothing going on. Sweet? Maybe a little. Interesting? God no. (review update: after further consideration I realized I'd never drink this and won't serve it to friends, so down the drain it went) My scale is 1 to 5, with 2.5 being the peak of the bell curve. Most competent whiskies will end up between 2 and 3. For me, this one doesn't make the cut. I'm quite sure there are worse whiskies out there, and I hope I none of them end up in my cabinet. Hard pass.
  10. Tucsonjj

For the price... a bargain... as a mixer. At one time, this was a heavily advertised top shelf Canadian. If you buy Black Velvet... get the toasted caramel version. Well worth he extra buck. Too many better choices... but for a really inexpensive whisky...