Buffalo Trace Experimental Collection Made With Rice


Buffalo Trace // Kentucky, USA


community rating

4 out of 5 stars
( 4 )

Released in 2011 and the ninth release in the Experimental Collection from Buffalo Trace, this was one of two whiskeys to experiment with a variation on the typical bourbon mash bill. As you probably know, whiskey can be made from any grain, and it can be called "bourbon" as long as more than 51% of the mash bill is corn. The other 49% can be anything else, but it traditionally is some combination of rye, wheat, and barley. For this experiment, BT decided to sub out rye in its BT Mash Bill #1, instead using rice with at least 51% corn and some malted barley. This oddball whiskey was distilled April 2002, and aged for nine years and five months in new, charred American oak. Twenty barrels were produced. In October 2011, after 36.25% evaporation, the barrels were emptied and bottled at 45% ABV.

  • age
    9 Year
  • Cost
  • abv
  • Bourbon
    Produced anywhere in USA; Mash bill of at least 51% corn; aged in new, charred oak containers.
  • Cask Type
    New, Charred American Oak

Remove ads, get access to upcoming features, and more with
Distiller Pro

Trusted Partner Stores