Caol Ila 12 Year

Caol Ila // Islay, Scotland

1. asg_ofc

2. asg_ofc

3. Spamin76

Really pleasant peaty nose with a great amount of smoke. Great peat and smoke on the palate with some sweeter malty flavors and a lovely coastal influence. I get seaweed, salt, a bit of a black pepper bite, and smoke all around. The balance is also really nice. While it's not Laphroaig, my first love, this is a great drink. It's been years since my last glass of Caol Ila, and that's a regrettable fact!
  4. Keith-McHugh

Holy smokes! This one packs a punch. Very smoky flavor profile. Overpowering. Tastes like lapsang suchon tea. Bought a bottle to bring out on special occasions.
    32.0 GBP per Bottle
  5. Matthew-Rushing

6. ejimenez

A little light for an Islay, but good flavor nonetheless
  7. WhiskeyLonghorn

Soft, gentle peat smoke. Think Laphroaig lite. Some fruity and grassy notes buried under the smoke. Some astringency on the finish. I’m not loving this on its own, but I see its value in blends like Peat Monster.
  8. dkwhiskey

9. bornyhake

All you you need is inside this bottle. Peated fresh rich. Very good one
  10. Jagraeus

Nose: Peat, on the one hand accompanied by a certain citrussy freshness, and on the other hand peppery, slightly sooty notes. Also some fresh hay. And brine. As I continnue to nose it, more medicinal notes emerges, reminicent of a bandaid soaked with rectified/denatured alcohol. Overall, the nose is distinct, but not ”in your face”, and there is a certain lightness to it. Palate: Black pepper, sooty peat, slightly salty licorice. Again some wet bandaids. Not as oily texture as some other classic Islays, and lighter, though still intense. Finish: The peaty soot and licorice lingers. Some slight bitterness. After a while, a hint of a milk-chocolate tone emerges. Plesant! Overall: On first sniff, this is a very typical Islay, and I could have guessed Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig 10, (being fairly long ago I tried either). I would maybe hold this one as a bit lighter though, but with the same level of peat (many say it’s less peated, and maybe it is if you try them head-to-head, but it’s definitely a peat-heavy dram). I very much like peated Islay whiskys, and this one is definitely no exception - though I do believe that there are better drams out there in the same price range that offer just a bit more compexity and depth. The differences are small however, and I score this one a solid 3.75 which in my book is a score of a very good whisky, clearly above average.