Caol Ila 25 Year

2. Ankhazam

3. hello_vodkalovers

4. Nigel_Brown

5. Soba45

Received this as a present from a bunch of mates which was a lovely surprise. Also surprising was the fact that despite it's age it retained the classic Caol Ila flavour profile quite well, age having faded it slightly but smoothed off the rougher edges of its younger brothers. The Caol Ila moch we also tried on the night seemed very rough in comparison. Great drop at a reasonable price point for a 25 at ~ $180 USD. Taking the price into consideration I'd put the 1/3rd less priced 18 yr ahead but very happy to have this as a present :-). Update: Now this has settled a while I rate this even more. Given it's one of the cheapest distillery 25 year distillery bottlings out there I'm rounding to a 4.5.
  6. james2550-gmail-com

7. Rami-Valta

8. fvkvn

9. Kayem

oh me, oh my. this is such a delightful little drop. acquired mine in europe - its caol ila stock approach, with all the benefits you might expect from a bit more of a lie down. is it worth the extra on the standard? by dram in a restaurant: possibly. at the duty free: if you're bored and need a speaking piece. that said: i have this, and i love it. smokey, barley, smooth with long term wood character and a place in the afterlife.
  10. TheSamDavies

I've been avoiding this whisky for a while. I'm very fond of Caol Ila and was worried this wouldn't live up to my expectations. I'm happy to say it still surprised me. The nose has wet peat, malt vinegar, shoe polish, and dried heather. There's a lot happening on the palate. The texture is very juicy. Aggressive wood spices out of the gate, dry dark malt, waxy fruit, powdered white chocolate, and a subtle smoke and petrol finish. While this is fun to dig through, it seems more of a trip to whisky academia. Luckily adding a few drops of water changes all of that. The palate becomes pure silk and wonderful juicy fruit emerges from the malty palate. You sacrifice some complexity but it is a more than favorable exchange. Well done Caol Ila.