Chattanooga Whiskey Co. 1816 Cask

2. DCLawyer

10/12/19 Beer Bourbon & BBQ fest in Leesburg
  3. zwrodgers

4. washeewashee

Nose - (w/o water) Spicy sweet bbq?, paprika, hickory, salt, caramel, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice (w/ water) More rounded, some sweet-savory funk but less bbq, more cloves, allspice Taste - (w/o water) Very drying, bit hot, cinnamon red hots, light salt, pie crust, light graham cracker, dark caramel, hint of black tea (w/ water) Less drying, cherry cinnamon red hots, light salt, dark caramel, hint of chocolate Finish - (w/o water) Lingering cinnamon spice/tingle, sweet pie spices, sweet paprika, vanilla caramel (w/ water) Less tingle, more black tea bitter, vanilla, caramel Score - 89/100 Final Thoughts - This one was quite interesting and not at all what I expected. The nose itself was way out there but it didn't really reflect on the palate. It was funky but in a good interesting way. Flavors not typical in your "standard" bourbon, but still close enough to let you know it's a bourbon. This is an interesting one for sure in that I think it'd pair either with savory foods or a good pecan pie, but seems a bit off for a daily sipper. Would I drink it if offered? - Yes Would I specifically order it? - Maybe Would I buy a bottle? - Probably not?
  5. halljr1

I’ve heard good things about this and finally decided to try it. Though I’m not sure how easily I will be able to find this variant (their sourced MGP barrels) now that they have been making their own product. The nose at first had some heat to it, but after a few minutes in the glass, the vapors subside and allow brown sugar, some oak and baking spices to come through. After the first sip I get some apricot. The palate is very oaky in a great way. Sort of reminds me of my Stagg Jr., just not nearly as hot. You also get some sweet cola notes and leather. And hint of fruit on the very back. It definitely drys the tongue. The finish has a nice initial burn and then follows through nicely, long length. Also tried it with a few drops of water. It mellows it out, but didn’t bring anything else out of the mix. Wow, this is really good. Now I see why the guy at the store was suggesting that I might not want to try it, since it’s their old product they don’t make anymore. I guess I’ll have to stock up on it.
  6. PhoenixTCW