Elijah Craig Small Batch

Elijah Craig // Kentucky, USA

1. David-Barnwell

2. Cornmuse

This isn't my first taste of this by a long shot. It's my first in several years, however. Possibly my first since this lost an age statement. I'm not sure why I haven't kept a bottle in my circulation other than to say there are a lot of tastes to be experienced in one's lifetime and distractions happen. Tonight I'll correct this oversight. Tasted neat from a glencairn poured from a fresh bottle and allowed to rest for several minutes. The pour is deep amber. A swirl shows significant sheeting and small, slow tears running down to the bowl of the glass. Based on appearance alone I expect a rich mouthfeel. The nose is cherries, carmel, clove, and a Bananas Foster like rummy note. I get the slightest touch of oak and wood. What I'm not getting is any acetone or overt ethanol alcohol elements. This is a relatively benign 47% ABV and I like that I'm not getting that telltale "young" or "brash" note. Mouthfeel is as rich as the look suggested, with a nice creaminess. Cherries and apple are up front, along with a nice wave of what reminds me of sweet tapioca pudding. There's a nice touch of pepper at the back of the tongue and a warm, relatively quick finish that leaves a nice taste "trail". The finish is really the biggest weakness here. Similar to the sour departure of BT, this hits me with a slight bitter oak note. In a better bourbon this would be a deeper char/barrel note, but here its the give-away that this is a bit less refined. It's faint and I don't find it offensive at all in this price range. Like BT, EW, and a few others the distiller has hit a really nice balance point for an affordable whiskey. This is a super approachable, easy drinking bourbon. It's nicely complex without being demanding. Elijah Craig Small Batch deserves a spot on any bar with extra space for an inexpensive and agreeable tipple.
  3. HillBillyRed

One of my favorites at this price point. Similar tasting notes to 4Roses Small Batch with a warm cinnamony finish.
  4. sspruill0314

Color: dark, man. Real dark. Nose: lots of oak, corn and a bit of cigar tobacco. Toffee and rye spice. Dried fruit. Extremely complex, and a lot going on. Palate: a LOT of oak. Perhaps a bit of maple syrup and walnut, or maybe malt. Lots of spice. A bit thin on the mouth feel, but overall very nice. Finish: short to middling, but definitely on the shorter side. Starts with heavy oak and works its way through a complex earthy finish, mostly leather.
  5. wilht

6. PorkSteakDaddy

5.0 USD per Pour
  7. worth1121

Incredibly sweet, but beautiful flavor. The dessert wine of bourbons
  8. dbth17

One of the smoothest bourbons I’ve had
  9. aoneatwo