GlenDronach 1990 27 Year Sherry Butt Single Cask #2257

GlenDronach // Highlands, Scotland

1. worldwhiskies95

Cask 7902. Whisky Exchange Sample. A lovely dessert dram with notes of raisins, dates, figs, toffee, tropical fruit, Christmas spices, vanilla, and chocolate .
  2. Richard-ModernDrinking

Nose: I am leaning over a vat of liquid raisins and oranges. Palate: Oh dear, I’ve fallen it. These raisins and oranges taste very rich, yet somehow more dry than sweet. Finish: Melted chocolate wrapped in marmalade. Long and elegant. I appear to be drowning, but there are worse ways to go. This was one of two single casks that I sampled at a recent BenRiach/GlenDronach tasting event, and at $1,200 a bottle one of the most expensive whiskies I’ve tried. If you’re on the fence about spending that kind of money on liquor, then you should consider that this bottle will last you longer than normal because its flavor is so concentrated. A mere half ounce should provide more than enough complexity to last an evening. At this age, the flavor leans very heavily on the sherry cask, of course, which isn’t entirely my preferred style, but it feels churlish to find faults. Incidentally, I was in the minority in the room that preferred this to the other single cask, a 24 year old, which goes for a mere $750.
  3. Nicola_T28

Strong notes of dried fruit and winter spice. Few drops of water calms the strength down.
  4. Wwowhisky