Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof

Tennessee

Jack Daniel's // Tennessee, USA

1. blancmont84

2. hansmootho

Nose comes across as sweet with honey and caramel notes. First sip takes you back as it brings the full heat of a barrel proof offering. Tastes of vanilla fade away as a strong cinnamon burn takes center stage. Long burn to the sunset. Overall not nearly as special as the JD single barrel rye.
  3. Swahili1

Tasting: 1 oz. neat in mini glen cairn tester glass. This was a 2019 Binny's store pick sample given to me by Dave John. Nose: (3.75) Molasses and brown sugar dominate. It is a sweet nose that does not give way to what is yet to come. Palate: (3.5) Spicy cinnamon and oak hit you hard. Not to say that it is overpowering but it is a bit shocking at first. Wasn't ready the first time and I admit the second sip I had to brace myself. Their is a tremendous richness about the texture-- velvety and coating. After the initial spice hits you, some more brown sugar and maple syrup flavors come through which are quite nice. Vanilla makes its debut at the back palate. The addition of a drop of water opened up some ridiculously good chewy toffee. I strongly recommend a drop of water or two. It really seemed to be a key to some things that originally were drowned out by that spiciness. Finish: (3.25) Long and lasting. It is a bit drying and I taste a lot of oak followed by some cinnamon candies. I can't quite get over the dryness as it sort of sucks the life right out of that rich coating feeling I liked on the palate. Overall: I truly enjoyed my 100 proof Binny's store pick from earlier in the year. Being a fan of high proof, and especially barrel proof whiskey I had super high hopes that this would be even better. I can't say that it was. I was overwhelmed on the front by spice, and dried out on the finish. There were some good things inbetween, and water helped, but not enough to win me over.
  4. Matthew-Hall1

5. Cornmuse

Other than Old No. 7 and Gentleman Jack, I have not had any of the Jack Daniels expressions. So this is new to me. The pour is a beautiful dark walnut color. There is some sheeting on the whorl but not much in legs. On the nose immediately I get sweet cream & vanilla, slight oak and a sweet tropical note. There's a definite flirtation with Werther's candy! This barrel is 131.9 proof! It doesn't drink anywhere near its heat. It's full-bodied and explosive in flavor. Lots of sweet butterscotch! There's almost no pepper on the finish but you definitely can tell that this is a high-octane whiskey. Lovely fade! I think I like this a lot more than I should...
  6. mgrobschmidt

Favorite barrel strength. Bold flavor but not too hot
  7. lenioja