Kavalan Solist Port Single Cask Strength

Kavalan // Taiwan

1. useeheesu

2. John_Bj

3. PBMichiganWolverine

It’s Friday night which means one thing. Actually means a lot of things. Like checking my oldest’s homework that I assign her for the week (yes. That’s right...I assign her my own math, science and reading because our public schools teach at the lowest common denominator. Which doesn’t help when your kid will need to compete with those bright kids from India, Singapore, China, Norway, Finland, and pretty much 50 other countries with better public schools than ours). Friday night also means sitting back and watching Netflix. Today...season 3 of that ball busting, ass kicking, whiskey drinking hottie Jessica Jones. But most importantly, Friday night means I get to sit back and enjoy a pour. Now, watching Jessica Jones, one must strategically choose the right drink. Some pansy ass rose’ just won’t do. You need something stronger. So...was deciding between a pour of Booker’s Kentucky Chew, Elijah Craig Barrel Strength, or a Kavalan Solist Port cask. We’ll go with a pour of this Taiwanese beauty. It’s matured fully in port casks in the hot (but not as hot as Amrut’s Bangalore ) climate of Southeast Asia. It’s gotta be first fill. The color is dark, like that Crayola burnt sienna. Nose is amazing; sweet clotted cream and strawberries. The nose alone is 5 stars. The taste is down a notch, but still carries a sweet berry and burnt sugar taste. Really oily and viscous...I guess that 55+% ABV does that. I paid about $10 for a pour, but I think the full bottles are close to $300. Not sure I’d pay that much, but if you can find a pour, it’s really well worth it. You won’t be disappointed. Oh...and Jessica Jones has upgraded from Tincup whiskey to Michter’s...a respectable notch up.
    10.0 USD per Pour
  4. ken1975

5. maximect

6. Kuan

7. mikegoodner

Kavalan Whiskey Distillery
  8. worldwhiskies95

Got a sample of this from whiskysite.nl. Cask O100505024A. 7 years old. This is great stuff with notes of strawberries, raspberries, chocolate, spice, a little passion fruit and toffee. Medium finish than can be longer with a nice raspberry chocolatey feel.
  9. Soba45

Tried this one straight up and was impressed how easily it went down. The taste included notes of prunes, burnt caramel, brown sugar and over the top of it all was a quite strong flavour of molasses. As Lee mentioned it's definitely a weird taste. It's constructed very well this drop but the flavour profile isn't for me as it's a bit odd..similar to east asian desserts which often have weird sweet flavours e.g. sweet bean curd. It's a hard one to rate, quality and balance high, flavour profile fair bit lower. 3.75 - 4 I think. It's not one I'd drink a lot of. This is the third Kavalan I've had and over all they are a quality drop but not really a distillery that grabs me flavour wise.
  10. Kristian-Hemmingsen