Octomore 07.4/167 Virgin Oak

Peated Single Malt

Octomore // Islay, Scotland

  • Cost

  • Distiller Score

  • Avg. Rating

    4 out of 5 stars
    ( 52 )

One of the first few releases under Adam Hannett's regime at the Bruichladdich Distillery. The Octomore 7.4, Bruichladdich's super-peated label, clocks in at 167 ppm phenol (which, absurdly enough, now seems tame compared to the 7.1's 208 ppm or the 6.3's 258 ppm). This malt is aged for seven years in a combination of ex-bourbon casks and medium-toasted virgin French Oak from Allier in the Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region. 25% was exclusively matured in French Oak with the remaining 75% spending three years in first-fill bourbon, followed by two years in virgin French Oak, and, finally, another two years in first-fill bourbon casks. Bottled at the casks' strength of 61.2% ABV, as always, this Octomore is non-chill filtered and bottled without coloring.

  • age
    7 Year
  • abv
  • Peated Single Malt
    100% malted barley from a single distillery. Dried with peat.
  • Cask Type
    Virgin French oak and ex-bourbon

Tasting Notes

"The nose is incredibly rich and complex with Octomore peaty signature but also creamy vanilla, dried fruits and nutty hints. Past the smoke and peat, the palate is surprisingly balanced and shows subtle herbal honey, toffee and licorice. Overall, a sweet and powerful dram with a pleasant French oak influence and a lingering finish."

Remove ads, get access to upcoming features, and more with
Distiller Pro

Flavor Profile

Peaty & Smoky

You may also like