Smoke Wagon Small Batch Straight Bourbon

Nevada H&C Distilling Co. // Nevada, USA

1. BlimpsGo90

Neat. Neck pour. Excited to try this! I have been a big fan of Smoke Wagon. I think Aaron is grabbing some high quality MGP barrels and selling them at fair prices. The Straight Bourbon is the best budget MGP out there. Time to see how the Small Batch steps things up. Interesting. Nose is bright. Eucalyptus pops in my mind first. Only 100 proof but this neck pour is hot too. The Rye and pepper are really coming through too. Starting to get some cinnamon and baking spices. Gosh, I have to really dig to get the usual MGP sweetness. Not much caramel or vanilla. Floral, rye, and pepper really take center stage. Nice creamy texture, but again odd first hit for a MGP. Pepper and dark honey. Floral again. Okay, there is some caramel but gosh, it switches to rye, citrus, pepper again. Either I am off or this needs to open up. If I were drinking this blind I would think it is an okay rye. Little mint of the finish too. So a bit disappointed off the neck pour. It’s not bad, just not the step up from the delicious Straight Bourbon I was expecting. This comes across as a Rye to me and lacks the MGP sweetness and dessert qualities I enjoy so much. Bah. Letting this sit for a bit.
  2. Twarner

Really like this pour. Nose of some spice with lighter fruit (almost like citrus or apple) Has classic bourbon notes on the palate with a great, spicier finish that lasts for a bit. Can pull the rye and fruit out on the finish for sure. Would recommend this one for the money. One of the best bottle designs is a bonus.
  3. BurpinBoy

Oh, I liked this. Had on a rock and loved the full breath of flavors, including the spice.
  4. schonto

5. gringofrijolito

Nice spice with smooth finish. Nose it very balanced with little to no alcohol smell.
  6. Alex-Boggess

7. SchtinerBock

Creamy caramel with a hefty dose of oak char.
  8. dhsilv2

So I saw smoke wagon and I just bough it. Pretty sure I got ripped off. 100 bucks? Anyway to the nose. pretty classic MGP notes, reasonably aged elements, rye spices, baking spice, a bit of youthful corn spirit the more I dig, a bit of a green fruit and kinda dull overall. Taste - I get a saw dust and youthful MGP corn mash. There's a bit of funky spice, perhaps a blend of 80% young and 20% older. It's a bit funky and it's clearly young. Toasted vanilla oak and some milk chocolate. It's interesting my first impression of this was chocolate and funky oak, but the more I go back this reminds me of my tumblin' dice 5 year pick. That young under aged MGP, but then this has some older notes. So I know I got ripped off on this (they sold out mind you), but ignoring that. This is funky and there's a weird mix of old and young whisky notes. I'm liking it, but not that much. 1.75 score here. There's just so much better whisky. It's a cool bottle and at about 50 bucks, I'd say give it a go if you're adventurous, but it'll be well below average for 50.
  9. Boyanovsky