The Balvenie Tun 1509 Batch 2

The Balvenie // Speyside, Scotland

1. Hud1865

Valletta.Malta. I leave a business dinner and wander the streets looking for what Larry & Serge's foreboding algorithm point me towards - Streats Bar - down a flight of steps and into a dark, cavern where Sasha, looking McMafia-like and stern, hands me the menu and to my utter surprise I see this rare whiskey, alongside a bunch of others; thus this place puts so many London and New York bars to shame! However I am not overly impressed with my dram and maybe its my deep cynicism boring over this humid night that affects my taste buds for though the NOSE is welcoming and all that Jake says it is in his notes, the PALATE is disappointing: I taste sour fruit, plums long past their sell-by-date, a hint of sulphur? no that can't be, but there it is again, but I move on and enjoy the cherries; the FINISH is long all right, smooth, with a dark chocolate finish. The manager of the bars is pleased when I say what a treat it is finding this bar, but no he won't sell me his last remaining bottle. I'm listening to Joy Division and The Sound and maybe it's that melancholy feeling being away from home that won't allow me to award more than 3.5/5 stars for this legendary dram, churlish I know, but there you go, I can't separate the palate from my mental state, just like you can't separate music from the generation it was made for. Forget it, if you're in Malta, make sure you visit Streats, the best whiskey bar in the Mediterranean! Sahha!
  2. Joe_C

Sweet, sweet saviour... Apple and sherry (raisin) on the nose, with wafts of summer air and honey. The palate is full and silky, with baking spices, oak and brown sugar blended together. The finish is sherried with a touch of dark chocolate. I'm not saying this bottle is worth $750 CAD, but I am saying I'm crazy enough to fork that kind of money for this bottle. Mindblowing!
  3. bwise

1.0
  4. Gillatien

5. bggas400

6. d_val

7. slavakava

8. Damon_Elliot

What the hell. The most amazing nose: nutmeg, rain-soaked temperate woods, white pepper, sea salt. All this and more on the palate: fresh baked sourdough bread, smoked honey, shortbread. The finish is the most spectacular of any single malt I've ever had. I can't describe it but I hope I can recall it for years to come. From tasting event, 12/17/16.
  9. daveymak

Tried at Dan's Bicton tasting. Was batch 3 we had. The event organiser used everyone's $20 entry to crack a bottle for all to sample. This is the most expensive bottle I've tried at around $600. It was rich and full, with a strong burst of flavour and a spicy bite that hits at the end. Better and easier to recognise the spices at the end without being assaulted by them with a small splash of water added. Enjoyed and nice to try, didn't love it personally though
  10. Wayne-Marshall