Requested By dankovci

Blended

The Whistler // Ireland

Requested By dankovci
  1. dhsilv2

So this is The Whistler Oloros Sherry Cask Blend - the official name. Not just "The Whistler". I'd say I have plans to review the rest of their line, but those darn bottles just keep getting killed the second i get them. But if I can find another 7 year CS you better bet your butt, I'm buying a case. OK so this is their NAS (and given they have a 5 year, one must assume this is 3 years old) and it's presented at 43%. Also despite the name, this is a blend of bourbon and sherry...a bit misleading. OK so their marketing is annoying, though their cork has music notes on it which is just freaking cool. Nose - cereal grain, vanilla, hints of sherry, and there are a lot of somewhat "normal" fruit notes as in not influenced by oak, not bitter or soured as we often get on single malts, but just kinda if you're getting apple it's apple (which I am getting a hint of). I get a salty like note here, not sea breeze salt but just I think the oak is giving some salted like nosing marks. Taste - Again I get those grain elements that come with kind of a vanilla ice cream and a bit of minerality. There are also some savory like fruit notes, perhaps in the relm of a coconut but sweeter. I'm getting some icing. I don't get any malt character and to be honest the sherry doesn't do much to show itself as sherry, instead I get a lot of citrus and fruity notes. All and all this is a delightful and extremely inexpensive irish whisky. At about 35 bucks you can blend this, mix it, add coke, or have it neat. I really can't stress how darn good this is for what it is. Now it's got a bit too much alcohol on it for 43%. The mineral note isn't great. The finish isn't special, no transitions. 2 stars which I feel is an extremely generous score for this. I really think if you see this you should give it a shot.
  2. Peter-Cooney

3. bastronaut076

4. William-Charles-Dunham

5. Miles-Kniep

Sweet and smooth, I'd love to keep this in my collection. I imagine pairing it with a plate of creamy cheeses and nuts.
    Tierney's Irish Pub & Restaurant
  6. Justin-Burns

Smooth with a good finish, just the right amount of heat in the finish.