Aberlour 16 Year Double Cask Matured

6. SteveMat

7. Jarpee

8. Jarpee

9. Horfrost

Overall I enjoy this - there's an early "floral" taste in the beginning I'm not crazy about and the finish is smooth but not memorable. The flavor is complex and interesting, which makes up for its flaws. After drinking this for a few nights in a row, it's really growing on me, so up'd my score .25
  10. Whiskey_Hound

Quick note before I get started. Distiller has this one listed at 43 ABV. But my bottle is only 40. In doing some research, I see that my bottle is the normal proof. Maybe it used to be 43 ABV (and it really should be). Nose: Fruity and floral. Apricot, pear, green apple, peach, and orange. Honey and vanilla sweetness. Brown sugar and caramel from the bourbon cask. The sherry cask adds a layer of plum, fig, and a big-time raisin note. It's a nice combination of lighter and darker fruit. Heat is nonexistent. Nice nose. Palate: Peaches and cream is the big note here. There's also a heavy dose of classic notes of honey, vanilla, caramel, and toffee. Beyond that, it's a slightly toned done version of the nose. Orange, apricot, apple, plum, raisin, and fig. A touch of leather just before the finish. Not nearly as cohesive as the nose, and also lacks of the depth. Not bad, but adds nothing substantial outside of that peaches and cream note. Finish: Moderate in length. It's more of the same from the rest of the experience. Light fruit complimented by dark fruit, rounded off with vanilla and honey. A nice touch of oak and the faintest trace of cinnamon stays with you until this one cuts out. I was compelled to buy this when the price dropped from $90 to $65. At the former rate, this is a marginal value. However, at $65, it's worth every penny. Of course, I'd love to see what a slight bump in ABV could do for this one. Sure, Aberlour going for subtle and pleasant, and they hit their mark. But I think that a bump to 43 ABV would bolster what is a relatively shallow palate. Perfect if you're in the mood for something easy-going and approachable, but just complex enough to distinguish itself from the herd. I've come to love in-your-face Islay and cask strength bourbons, but I can still appreciate a subtle, friendly Speysider every now and again. This is exactly that. If you see it for around $65 and are in the mood for a date that's easier than she is interesting, I'd say pull the trigger without hesitation.