Amrut Single Malt Rye

Amrut // India

1. MortenFL

Dejlig smag (god Rye) 83/100
  2. whiskey_whisky_

Fragrant nose, rich, lots there, including chemicals, chlorine, and baklava. On the palate... this tastes like Scotch. I defy anyone to taste this blind and not think it's a barley-based whisky. Strong pepper kick, with leather treatment. Finish is long. Interesting, maybe even weird. But doesn't taste like rye. 2/22/17
  3. Generously_Paul

Time for another one of the exciting bonus samples from our tour group. An Indian single malt from Amrut where the malt being used is rye instead of the traditional barley. The only other Amrut I’ve had was 10mL of the cask strength greedy angles that was provided by @PBMichiganWolverine (as was this one) and that was superb. Let’s see how this one fares. Bottled at 50% ABV, this NAS expression is non chill filtered and is most likely natural color of a beautiful mahogany. Strong minty oak starts the nose, promising a powerful palate to follow. It’s very rye heavy, as is to be expected from a 100% rye, but it’s also quite fruity. Apples, pears and a little banana. Walnuts, toasted coconut, more oak and barrel char. Vanilla and caramelized brown sugar. New and old leather, cocoa powder and tea, fairly herbal as well. Pink bubblegum towards the bottom of the glass (I’ve found this in many bourbons) with a bit of a pineapple/mango combo. WOW, a hugely powerful arrival. You’d think it was well above 50%. Spicy peppery oak. Rye and warm buttered rye toast. Strong mint and dill with some clove. Mixed nuts, underripe bananas, yellow apples, pears. More rye and oak make their way back around. Tropical fruits appear the more you get accustomed to the intensity. Papaya, mango and guava. Those tropical fruits really help to add complexity to a fairly simple whisky. I say simple, but the sheer power of it really negates that descriptor. A full bodied mouthfeel. HOT, oily, mouthwatering and mouth coating. The finish is medium long with oak, mint, herbal and fruity. This is my second Amrut, and it’s another winner. Far too strong to be a daily sipper, but when the mood hits and you want something with power, or to torture friends expecting something soft, this would be a great choice. Can’t say I’d buy a bottle at $170, but it’s got great character. While it’s not very complex, it’s powerful flavors make up for any shortcomings. 4.25-4.5, but closer to 4.25 I think. Cheers
  4. Telex

The nose alone makes you drool and your eyes water. Wow. Being my first Amrut, I am not sure what to expect exactly but being 50% ABV, it should be a good one. Hmm, getting a great blend of spices, fruits, leather, tea and herbs on the nose as well. For the palate, I added a couple drops of water after neat. Awesome, a rye I actually like a lot. I love Thai food, and those flavors are in the dram. Thai chili, peanuts, ginger, sweet butter, brown sugar, and coffee with condensed milk. Damn Pranay, are you trying to get me hooked on Indian malts, my friend? You are doing a hell of a job. The finish is medium to long with a nice dry dark chocolate end. Since I don’t know any proper Indian tunes, the theme of this glass shall be “Paint it Black” by The Rolling Stones for the cool sitar riffs. 4.25!
  5. LeeEvolved

My experience with Indian malts is extremely limited. In fact, the only ones I’ve tried were solely gifted to me by my friend Pranay. They are spice and ABV beasts, but they do deliver the goods. This is a newer, NAS release that uses European rye that is 5 years old and is aged exclusively in American oak barrels. It has a nice, rounded ABV of 50% and is a beautiful reddish-copper in the taster. It slowly forms oily legs before settling back in the glass. The nose is quite possibly the best part IMO. It starts with fresh cut, tropical fruit and rye bread before turning somewhat floral with a breezy hit of spearmint washing across the nostrils if you linger in there too long. There’s little to no barrel notes nor is there a heavy hit of alcohol from the higher ABV. That alone is amazing to me. The palate is where the typical rye whisky makes its appearance known. Strong, peppery rye spice, fresh oak and some serious citrus-like zing. It’s so strong it felt like it stripped all the oils that normally coat your tongue. It’s borderline violent, lol. The finish is- to put it bluntly- excessive (in a good way, haha). It continues to burn the tongue and throat until you physically make it go away (and it will take more than a sip of water). It’s got a hold of you and ain’t letting go. Boy, this is perfect for finding out if you’ve been slipping in the whisky game. Are you sure you haven’t been getting soft? Amrut Rye will surely let you know. If you see this stuff at a bar- take the challenge. It’s worth it, I promise you. A huge thanks to Pranay for letting me re-focus my chi, fine tune my game, whatever. This is fine stuff. 4.5 stars. Cheers.
  6. Richard-ModernDrinking

I think it took me all of five minutes between coming home and seeing the package of samples from Pranay (aka PBMichiganWolverine) to getting this in a glass, such was my anticipation for it. I'm a big fan of Amrut and rye so I had high hopes for this. It didn’t disappoint. It's a beautiful russet color in the Glencairn, with a nose of polished wood and an undertone of menthol. Left to air over time (due to a thoughtless dinner interruption), the mint emerges as the dominant note, with a hint of something floral in the background. It’s quite overpowering on the first sip, but once the palette adjusts it reveals flavors of nuts and black tea, enveloped in zesty rye spices. The finish is very long and spicy. I’d gladly keep a bottle of this in my collection, though it does inhabit the expensive end of the rye spectrum. Thanks, Pranay.
  7. PBMichiganWolverine

First of all...kudos to the Distiller team. I asked them just yesterday if this can be added...and VOILA! It's here. Thank you for the amazing customer service! Okay...so, to the review....I'm a huge fan of Amrut. They've really come a long way, and placed India on the distillery map producing top notch whiskey. Their 10 yr Greedy Angels remains on of my favorites, along with the Intermediate Sherry. In this case, they've done a US-India-Europe crossover. They've taken American barrels, European rye, and Indian climate. And it's worked...it's unusual, not your typical rye, so some may like it, others may not...but, in my opinion, seems to work. It's potent, but in a very un-Amrut like fashion, has a floral elegance to it. Amrut is a brute, with hair growing whiskey, so this is a bit of a departure. Or so you'd think...until that 50% ABV hits you. Nose isn't like other ryes. It's a bit more sweetly potent, like you're about to have strong bourbon. Tastes kicks you in the teeth with traditional rye flavors, but amped up (influence of the Bangalore climate). If you're not a rye fan, don't bother. If you're a standard old fashioned rye fan, don't bother. It doesn't have the typical rye profile. But, if you're adventurous, and would love to try a rye that comes at you stronger (think Buffalo Trace's Thomas Handy ) and yet elegant (think Sazerac 18), this is for you. It's pricey...might want to hold off on the bottle, and sample it first somewhere, just in case you find it too forward and off-the-beaten path.