Ancient Ancient Age 10 Star

2. ptdavidson27

3. patrickbarrett1220

4. DrinkDerrty

5. BDanner

AAA 10 STAR: I'd been reluctant to try this one since I compared the standard issue Ancient Age with the 36 Month Age Statement to the watered down bourbon at the end of a pour on the rocks. I was perusing the shelves and with nothing new that really moved the needle, I picked this one up from the bottom shelf. I love BT Mashbill #2, so I thought a little older (or so I thought, more on that later) and 10 proof points higher, it's worth a $17 flyer. How was it?... NOSE: Rye Spice, Corn Dust, Leather, Honeycomb, Dry Brown Sugar, Cigar Box. Very nice and complex for a $17 bottle. NEAT: You can definitely pick up on the BT Mashbill #2/Blanton's Lineage. Cherry Coke, Charred Oak, Vanilla, Leather, Cedar, Rye Spice. Warming Finish with building KY Hug. Black Pepper Tingle and Sweet Oak coat the palate. Again, very impressive for a $17 bottle. SPLASH: A little water really turns up the Vanilla and Charred Oak. VERDICT: This is labeled as KSB and that means minimum 2 years or minimum 4 with no age statement. I scoured the label for an age statement and found none so the reports I've seen of 6 years seemed plausible, but I figured at least 4. I did some reading once I got it home and kept seeing it referred to as 36 months. I thought they had to be confusing it with the standard issue AA so I scoured the bottle again. Still no age statement, and then as I was sitting it back on the counter, there it was. Oh, you sneaky Buffalo Trace Bastards. On the back of the neck label, sideways, underneath the Return for Deposit States, in the same font, "Aged 36 Months". So, in theory, this is the same Ancient Age that I gave a 2 rating (and was being generous at that) simply 10 proof points higher. How can it be more Ancient than regular Ancient if it's the same age? At first I was miffed (and still am a little) by the placement of the Age Statement. I mean, I know they are "technically" following the rules, but it seems they are doing it in the most dishonest way possible. Then I put that aside. As I was tasting this, the voice of Lloyd Benson (you young folks can google him) popped in my head and said, "I have had 3 year old Bourbon, and you Sir, are no 3 year old Bourbon". There may be some 3 year old booze in this mix, but I don't think there is much. What I found was a $17 Bourbon that left the first few $17 bourbons that I could think of in the dust. If memory serves (and I think it does) this is better than Beam White, Evan Williams (BIB, Black, and 1783), 4 Roses Yellow Label, Very Old Barton 86, and WT81. If indeed this is mostly 36 month old whiskey, I'm doubly impressed. For $17, this will be my new "well" bourbon. So close to a 4 based on a combination of taste and VFM, but being slightly miffed at the placement of the Age Statement, I'll round down.
  6. jganotis

7. cae0506

Seems very young. Not alot of flavor
  8. HysellWhiskey88

9. nickperry81

This. Is. Amazing! For the price the taste is legit! Butterscotch and cherries on the nose. This is worth every penny!