ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Remove ads, get access to premium features, and more with
Distiller Pro

B&B by Bénédictine

Herbal/Spice Liqueurs

Bénédictine // France

1. Enoch_Panzera

The Cordial Shoppe
  2. Scott_E

No true analytical review tonight. This is more of a nostalgic review. This is essentially my father’s favorite cordial and would come out on Christmas most often. This squat brown bottle would be tucked somewhere in the back. I would be intrigued, peering at the adult “drinks”. However, I would never see anyone pour from this bottle. Flash forward many years ahead and we (wife and me) found ourselves joyfully hosting Christmas Eve. Food, wine, spirits and family were the natural tradition after evening mass. Food was plentiful. And so were the desserts. Well, for the simple pleasure for my father, I made sure I had B&B. The aroma is not all that inviting. Almost Elmer’s glue with a sweet and syrupy hazelnut undertone. If the nose is so off and odd, why do people drink this? Well, the palate is nothing of the nose. Sweet, sticky, thick with a touch of spice. Tabasco-like in sensation but is truer in flavor to fresh cinnamon spice, like Red Hots, but not artificial like Fireball. This just sips sweet and spicy and has become a nostalgic favorite of mine and is a catalyst for stirring memories and still a small sharing moment between me and my father. This will perpetually be a favorite of mine. It is a great cordial. Try a small bottle. I am sure you will find it to be enjoyable. Brandy and Benedictine (whatever that is), it will not disappoint. It may be too sweet for some. But for those with an occasional sweet tooth, you will enjoy. What spirit connections do you share with a family member loved one? What spirit conjures up memories? [12/20/20]
  3. stanvick

4. Cornmuse

I spent part of the early 80's on the far side of the stick, so vodka-based cocktails and sweet liquers are a part and parcel of my history. It should not be a surprise that B&B and I are old friends. This is my first recorded taste, and my first critical reaction, to this sweet treat. This particular sample has been tasted neat in a glencairn from a bottle that's 1/3 full and likely dates from sometime in the earliest years of this century... or maybe even the late 90's The nose is a melange of candied orange, spiices, sweet syrup, slight grape and a touch of ethanol. It's not particularly impressive, but it's not completely off-putting. I'm not so far gone that I don't still enjoy the occasional stop at Dairy Queen. My first reaction is that there's not a lot of depth to this flavor profile. The taste is far more attractive than the nose. This is sweet, inoffensive, clearly "orangy" like a Grand Marnier, but soft and silky without the GM's hard edges. Very silky with a creamy mouthfeel, there is a honeyed, sweet, thick profile that tells you immediately that this is dessert and one is enough. Way back then I used this is a sweetener, particularly in an Old Fashioned. I used to mix 1.5 oz of Maker's Mark, .5 oz b&b and top with a splash of soda and drank the bejesus out of that combination on my afternoons off. Sweet, easy to drink, & potent were winning hat tricks for me then. Sometimes I'd mix it up and use an aged (anejo) tequila as the engine of the drink. I think I'll use the remainder of this bottle for a mixer in similar cocktails going forward. I am pretty sure I've purchased my last bottle, however. This is just too sweet for a developed palate, and far too lacking in subtlety. Kind of like the alcohol version of pixie sticks. I don't think I'll ever drink this neat again. 2.25/5
  5. mingo3243

6. whines12345

7. Joe-Vecchione

8. Noopsips

Sweet, smooth, low ethanol, blends well in cocktails or neat
  9. JDudziak

10. RailroadBill

Smooth and herbal. Great pour for sipping, with water back.