BenRiach Temporis 21 Year

BenRiach // Speyside, Scotland

1. stephenschimpf

Disappointing. Strong aroma and flavor of both peat smoke and Band-Aids. Dry, with a metallic taste, followed by a numbing, menthol-like sensation that continues in the finish. I don’t find that taste very pleasant. 3 cl sample from the 12 Drams of Christmas Premium (2019 Edition).
  2. whines12345

3. fairydust898

The Balmoral
  4. Jan-Case

I usually like BenRiach but this one was the first that wasn’t for me at all. You get the pleasant Speyside BenRiach character but the peat is just too much on it and overshadows what would make this one enjoyable for me. The peat just doesn’t work together with the rest here - but the rest itself is definitely a good well matured yet still speysidy whisky.
  5. Cornmuse

Viscous pour with solid sheeting and slow legs. Pour is a golden brass. Lovely. The nose. Oh, the nose! Beyond Lagavulin 16. This is deep water. Complex. Profound. Astonishing! In addition to the peat, the smoke, the barrel, the wood, the oak, the vanilla, the honeysuckle, I'm getting just tons of minor notes. Perhaps the finest nose from a peated scotch that I have ever experienced! Just wow... On the pallet there is DEPTH. Peat, iodine, saline, honey, orchard fruit, barrel notes. This is better than Lagavulin 16. Better. Better... The finish is sublime. Slow, spicy, peppery. Sophisticated. Complex. This is the first time I've immediately given a perfect score on a scotch whisky. Temporis is that good, imho. Definitely worth the price of entry and more than competitive with the handful I've sampled at this elevated price point.
  6. whiskal

7. jacobhayman

Representing speyside Lossie river Nose: sweet peat, sweet medicinal, juicy fruit Body: light Palate: smoke hits me first, charcoal. A little of a faint metallic taste like a hint of the curiositas ten but not as powerful. Less metallic. The smoke lingers a long time. Charcuterie later, salami. Finish: enormous. Note: good the smoke overpowers this one
  8. Hoch0075

9. Soba45

"The virgin oak influence is strong with this one"...DV. Minty peat as RMD indicated. I'm with LE on this one. Nice drop but it'd have been good to see the other casks which I also think have been refilled to nth degree take a front seat. I do struggle with anything '....mint' as well. Benriach peat + great cask finish is often amazing.. this is good but not at that level. I'd rate the 22 yr Moscatel, 18 yr Albarize, single cask port efforts well ahead. Started at 4.25 but that spearmint/ peppermint is really a bit overpowering, slightly artificial and irritating me. Usually it's in bourbons i encounter it but given it's first fill virgin oak heavy it makes sense. 3.5 it ends up at and if I had a bottle I'd have a feeling it'd fall lower as I'd get real tired of it. Interesting I do notice quite a bit of variance in the tasting note descriptions as well...personal taste buds or batches blended differently? If you love minty peat and you have the same batch as this you'll be in love..if not....
  10. Richard-ModernDrinking

Five bottles of BenRiach and three of GlenDronach were lined up for an epic tasting event on Wednesday night, their average age in excess of 21 years. While there wasn’t a bad bottle among them, my clear favorite among the BenRiachs was this 21-year-old, one of two peated whiskies that we sampled. The BenRiach 10 Curiositas, its entry level peated offering, was the only whisky I’d tasted previously from the distillery and I found it pleasant if unremarkable. The 21 is in a different league. The peat has a unique minty quality to the nose that delights with its unfamiliarity. If you could bottle the flavor of a fresh sea breeze, this is what it would taste like: refreshingly crisp, salty and a touch sweet. The minty peat returns on the long finish, swirling in the current of the breeze. Like most of the BenRiachs we tried, this one is a combination of four different barrels, a signature of master blender Rachel Barrie. I came away hugely impressed by the skill with which she balances the flavors and full of admiration for a distillery carving a different path amid a sea of ex-bourbon matured whiskies or wine-cask show-offs. I hope to return to Temporis time and time again.