Canadian Club 40 Year

Canadian

Canadian Club // Ontario, Canada

1. odysseusunbound

I don’t own a bottle of this, so keep in mind a 35ml sample can only go so far. This review is obviously limited in scope, and I don't claim to have the world's finest, most discerning palate. Tasting Notes I let this “open up” (covered) in a Glencairn for an hour or more. • Nose (undiluted): caramel popcorn, butterscotch candies, cola, rye spices, old oak, a slight mustiness like old books (which I quite enjoy) • Palate (undiluted): rich buttery texture, gentle arrival, rye spice, orange zest, pepper, a touch of canned pineapple somewhat reminiscent of a good rum • Finish: buttery, brown sugar, cola, molasses, cloves With water, there’s some vanilla, barrel char, and an aroma reminiscent of freshly baked Old Fashioned Plain doughnuts (my favourite). After another brief rest in the glass, the pineapple aroma becomes more pronounced. This really reminds me of good rum. Unfortunately the flavours don’t benefit from the addition of water. The lovely, buttery texture is thinner with water and the orange zest note all but disappears. The finish is also diminished by the addition of water. It becomes a bit nondescript; like a “standard” Canadian whisky. This is nice, but I wouldn’t score it higher than 87-89 points. I certainly wouldn’t rush out to buy a bottle.
  2. MajorHop

3. Alex-Suntory

4. ShannonJohnCox

Beautiful nose, beautiful whiskey. So easy to drink.
  5. M_M

6. kimchi_boi

7. Karnivore

8. bobgalbraith

9. Richard-ModernDrinking

And so we reach the eldest of my samples from the Canadian special releases of 2017, and indeed the oldest age statement ever produced north of the border. The Canadian Club 40 is deliciously creamy on the nose, with oodles of vanilla and a hint of buttered toast. The creamy flavors continue on the palate, but it quickly turns spicy from its decades of interaction with the oak and finishes aggressively peppery. It’s pleasant enough but quite simple and I didn’t detect any of the plum or caramel notes referenced in Blair’s Expert Review.
  10. MizzV