Caol Ila Stitchell Reserve (2013 Special Release)

Caol Ila // Islay, Scotland

1. Anthony08

Nose: Smokey, sea salt, salted butter, vanilla Taste: vanilla, salt, butter, spice Finish: smokey bacon, vanilla, butter (Really enjoyed this, peaty with sweet buttery flavours I hadn't come across yet)
  2. Jose-Massu-Espinel

My 499 review comes from an Islay Malt. Maybe the most forgotten one by me, Caol Ila, which i respect but i don't really have the same appreciation as an Ardbeg, Laphroaig or a Lagavulin. Actually this high strength abv dram was a part of a future release from an independent bottler that is going to enter the market soon (in fall 2019). Bottled at 59%abv, pale straw color. On the nose, lots of things happen here bit not necessarily the most appealing ones. Lemon, peat, pure alcohol or as we ecuadorian call it: PURO. Agave from tequila, grapefruit, dry grass and tea. The kind of tea that old people drink. Not my favorite aroma, but complex enough to get a solid score. On the palate, very few notes, very clean and delicious ones. Chinese Tea. Chocolate, dry feeling, lemon. No more, but it is really good. Aftertaste is where the islay profile really gets to you. For a 59%abv there is no alcohol kick or unbearable spiciness. Smoke, peat, beach notes, sand, peppery spiciness. Overall, this is not my favorite dram, but i have to be objective and due to its complexity and well craftedness i give it a 90 over 100.
  3. apoorv14

20.0 AUD per Pour
    Death and Taxes Brisbane
  4. Soba45

Ok to be fair to this dram Talisker 25 yr and Ardbeg Renaissance were going to be hard acts to follow but I'm with @Cascode on this one. My tasting notes are a limited subset of his. As mentioned needs time and water but even then it shows youth and not much complexity.
  5. dhsilv2

I've been holding off having another pour of this for months just due to a desire to get another bottle. I won't get into it but I'm a bit frustrated with the search. But it's been months, is this really a bottle I HAVE to replace? Lets give it a second look - but memory severs me this dwarfs the 15 and 18 year bottles I have bought in hopes they'd match this one. Nose - Sweet candy, big dark caramel, and a light salt. Oh this is good. Alcohol and I get a bit of a pie filling. Taste - Salty caramel and vanilla. It's like chewing on dessert. This is just a custard pie caramel vanilla and salt bomb. A complete dessert scotch that hits on every possible note you could want. Bottled in 2013 these have become hard to get and I'm insanely annoyed with Ohio...where I'm told two stores have bottles...they just can't find them to sell them to me. Anyway this is hands down my favorite Caol Ila I've had.
  6. jpmika

Spicy. No smoke. Sipping scotch.
  7. KRB80

8. BeerRay

9. davidc

Unpeated release at heavy cask strength. Surprisingly light on the nose with some woody, floral notes. You taste the oak with dried fruit and some spice. A little oily residue on the palate and a lingering smoky after taste despite the lack of peat. A nice thoughtful and complex Islay.
  10. cascode

Nose: Honey, lemon, green apple, white grapes, heather flowers, sea-mist. Adding water mutes the nose considerably and it takes some resting time to recompose. When it does it produces tropical fruit aromas, sweat and a little light honey. [The dry-glass aroma is lightly floral and vaguely similar to Highland Park]. Palate: A strong, forcefully spicy arrival that is completely unexpected from the nose. Sour apples and bittermelon, lemon zest and slightly overbrewed but weak black tea. Pine resin, pine needles, sawdust. Adding water tames the performance but tends to confuse everything - it creates a meld of flavours that doesn't ever really sort itself out. If adding water, don't add too much. Finish: Medium/long. Spicy, malty and grassy. A faint bitter aftertaste. Let this one rest. Give it time. Give yourself time. This is not a peated Caol Ila and it is not like any other Caol Ila you've ever tasted before (unless you've had an unpeated cask-strength IB). It's very tightly locked up by the high alcohol and it demands water, however it's a finicky malt that blooms when the right amount of water (just a few drops) is added, but collapses into chaos if drowned. This taste is based on a bottle-kill. It's probably difficult to find this malt now except through auctions - personally I won't be bothering to acquire another. Interesting, certainly worth a taste, but neither compelling nor value for money. "Good" : 3.5 stars.
    200.0 AUD per Bottle