Clynelish Select Reserve (2015 Special Release)

Clynelish // Highlands, Scotland

1. Sakura

2. SusanDyson

3. dhsilv2

Second edition. My understanding is these were 900+ USD retail, but likely poor sales due to the NAS statement has lead to far more favorable pricing for me. As a result I have two bottles! Color is a really deep rich golden, super oily, super thick body, long slow legs. Nose is honey, citrus, I'm getting a touch of apple pie crust. I can get apples, pears, and maybe even a touch of a dry white grape. Water sweetness the nose and makes it much more approachable and more inviting. This is one of the hardest whiskies I've had to review. It will start at one point, jumps over there, and then the high abv comes on like a wall. Opening is sweat fruits, with a touch of a waxy note that keeps things from the citrus bite. The whisky then turns to oily and lightly savory. Water brings out some of those sour fruit notes and pushes the oily waxy notes to the back. There's a touch of herbal bitterness and mineral water. The finish is long, sweat, mineral notes, perhaps some kind of light smoke. So what's the verdict? Well this is really good stuff. It's complex, nuanced, it lingers, and really keeps with you. The high abv is a delightful addition as well. I bought 2 bottle at just under 300, but I can't say that this is a must buy at this price point.
  4. darederek

Salty but light
  5. MSchouten

Dit is echt een cask strength. Hoog in de alcohol. Een vurige en toch zacht mond gevoel. Fruitige tonen zijn daarna te proeven. Lekker maar niet de hoge prijs (komt omdat het een eenmalige oplage was) waard. Vandaar 3 sterren.