Eagle Rare 10 Year Bourbon

Forno Osteria+Bar
  3. jake_bacon

4. larryb86

5. rcondit

Eagle Rare is a great everyday drinker. 91 is generous but it’s a solid 85-87.
  6. sack10

7. Zachary-Robbins

Short review - affordable, quality bourbon for those who like it sweet and rich I remember having Eagle Rare a few times many years ago and liking it a lot, but never thought it would blow up in popularity like it has. In preparation for the possible barrel pick our local stores are getting this summer, I picked up the regular version for $34.95. Oddly enough I still frequently see Eagle Rare on the shelves but have not seen Buffalo Trace in multiple years. The nose is full of sugary dark fruits, what I commonly see referred to as a stewed fruit nose by more knowledgeable enthusiasts. I also get a strong hint of oak that certainly comes from the 10Y age. For a 90 proof bourbon the nose is much richer than others in this proof range. It tastes as syrupy as it smells, with more dried dark fruit flavor that probably is influenced by barrel tannins. The oily syrup is moderate on the finish, longer than you'd expect with this proof. In 2019 I've had a run of sweet bourbons that I've enjoyed, and I would say this is one of the sweetest I've had. I am a sugar addict, but I can only drink 2 glasses of this in a row before I have to switch it up. A few years ago I may have rated this a 4.0 or 4.25, but now I like something with a little more bite and a little less sweet. However, this is still a fantastic bourbon for the price and definitely a great starter mid-tier bourbon or gift for those getting into better whiskey. It's hard to see how anyone wouldn't enjoy a glass of this.
  8. kylerom

waxy
    Buffalo Trace Distillery
  9. MatthewRhoden

10. mklm99

Did not care for it after the uncorking but after a week with some air in the bottle it’s a little better. Albeit not a high proof this one comes across a little hot for me and i miss some of the flavors. Needed some ice to help it out. I’m by no means an expert and miss most of the notes others find but I can tell the difference from good to great. This was not bad but not great for me.