Evan Williams Green Label

2. Jonathan-Young1

3. PaxScoggs

4. JustAnotherTater

5. diablomah

I think it's important to talk about our "house" bourbon. We can't all afford to drink top shelf bourbon all the time. So, if you are like me, you have a house bourbon that's your inexpensive go to most of the time. For me, Evan Williams green label is it. I rated this a bit higher than it's flavor profile should allow but that is because at around $20 for 1.75L, this a solid, decent "everyday bourbon". This is a bourbon with some bite, so I prefer it over ice to soften that and bring out more of the flavor. Starting notes are smokey, with a fair amount of sweetness. This is masked to dinner degree by the ethanol taste when served neat but really stands out when softened with the right amount of water. For what some consider a low end bourbon, it has a surprisingly robust flavor profile. With undertones of clove and tabacco and overtones of wood and herbs that I haven't been able to identify yet. I highly recommend this as a go to bourbon in the home.
  6. lordofthemark

The nose reminds me a wood shop, with a mix of oak and something like turpentine. Not unpleasant. The palette though starts with a harsh burn, which continues to obscure the honey and fruit notes, which only become apparent with patience and disappear on the finish. Adding some water helps a bit, but I don't think this will work as a sipper.
  7. buzkris