Requested By Jmill79

Aged Rum

Barbados

Requested By Jmill79
  1. Soba45

Gin, whisky and now rum... the trifecta all happening tonight. Another last bottle I allowed in the door as a chunk of my collection was heading out the other way. Foursquare is known as the Pappy of the rum world. They are lazer focused on excellent traditional quality rum, no adulterents or short cuts. Their bottlings are sort after by rum purists and having tried a boutique whiskey offering and now this I can see why. Once a liberal helping of water is added to bring it down under the 50% abv mark (I'm guessing) lovely toasted caramelized coconut wood flavours burst forward. If you are a whiskey drinker not interested in sweet rums I'd seek these guys out. I'd start with the excellent R. L. Seale's 10 year rum (they have 3 brands: R. L. Seale's, Doorley's and Foursquare). The R. L. Seale's 10 year rum is a great drop and quite cheap. Richer and sweeter but not over the top.
  2. captainpeaches

Wow. From the start it's wonderful with a beautiful rosey color. Nose is sweet vanilla and oak. Little bread like. A sweet cake. Taste is immersive, with tobacco and leather up front, sweet caramel to mellow it out, spicy hot sensations. Long, bitter, spicy, hot linger. At 59%?! Incredible. This is definitely a bourbon drinkers rum. This is a win.
  3. BeerNinjaEsq

I'll do this review as a comparison between 2007 and 2008, which I think some people will appreciate. To be clear, both are excellent, and you can't go wrong with either. 2007 is a deeper, darker tasting, more charred drinking experience. There is a good kind of bitterness to this, in the same way that good coffee is bitter but smooth. I get burnt toffee notes with hints of dark cocoa and coffee, and a a medicinal quality throughout. Finally, I get highly caramelized sweetness on the back end that reminds me of burnt (practically blackened) sugar. By comparison, 2008 is brighter and fruitier. It is dessert in the form of berry compote over medium toasted creme brulee. A perception of sweetness exists throughout, but it never strikes a bass note in the same way as the 2007. As I return to it, I find hints of licorice, candied orange, cardamom, and cognac. If I did not know that this was only aged in ex bourbon casks, I would swear to a brandy influence of some type. Neither is better than the other. Each brings something unique to the table. At the same time, the shared pedigree of excellence is undeniable.
  4. jllm3919

Medicinal taste; harsh flavor;
  5. demmbonz

Torn on how to rate it because it's so bourbon like in aroma and taste. I'm no rum purist so I just think it's a great spirit.
  6. ick

7. BeerNinjaEsq

Something about this reminds me of a dark cherry liqueur of the highest quality... The darkest, dark cherry turned into the finest of dry spirits. It's one of the best liquors of any kind that I've ever tried. It drinks a bit more like rye whiskey than a rum, however, with almost no vanilla notes whatsoever. Other flavors include cocoa, Belgian sugar, and a lot of rye-like spice
  8. Zibens

Not my personal review, but it is so detailed I thought it should be cut and pasted here: Anonymous, 22 April Just incredible what these guys have been able to do with their distillery, from the sherry & bourbon finishes we are seeing, to the obscure port and zinfandel casks they have stunned us with in the past- youve got to love their attempt at innovation. I wasnt expecting much from this at all, honestly. From the initial nosing when I first got it, it has got a bit of a "weird" solventy-Airfix glue quality to it, of which I am not a fan- reminding me of cheapo jack D... however, what you get underneath that is just unreal. Nose- pre water: Heavy solvent punch (Which Ive a feeling is the bourbon cask), dark chocolate, Hay, Barrel char, very woody-oak (sounds silly, but it smells like my face is inside a cask- amazing), toasted vanilla, campfire smoke, spice, sweet sherry its associated cask tint, naturally sweet (surprisingly sweet), light fruitiness, dark fruits on the undertone, stone fruit, light- Not your usual Dark heavy mollases note youd usually associate with Mollasses-style rum. white wine, pepper, corn, candy floss, thick blanket of sweetness, toffee, honey, heather, burger sauce (!? part of the solventy-scent), musty With water: Lifted and opened up incredibly, Banana, heavy caramel, toffee, massive natural vanilla, huge body, tropical fruits, spices, ginger, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, thick and full. Taste: Without water: Huge punch of spices, Peppery, toasted oakiness (but not tannin-bitter), bourbon sweet, huge vanilla, smoke, fruity, woody-hit, can really taste the barrells, molasses (but not the dark-heavy molasses we've come to expect), spicy! complex, almond, nutty, orange zest on the tail. With water: BIG! Opened up, sweet, spicy, black pepper, Sweet wood/oakiness- wow, Smokey, (camp woodfire smoke), corn, tobacco, bourbon, pine, resins and tannins, apricot, honey, heather, punchy, dark fruits, grapes, lingering, raisin, damsons, has mass, can really get the orange on the back end/back of the pallette, banana, nuts, hazel and almond, and just goes
  9. DefinitelyNotYui