George Dickel Bottled in Bond Tennessee Whisky 13 Year

Tennessee

George Dickel // Tennessee, USA

1. nfisfis

2. crown24

Dusty peanut shells, sweet Carmel corn. Like a summer day at the ballpark.
  3. memoran01

4. Jim-Sage

5. Brad-A-Stephens

6. peat69shiznit

This is the second bottle of this stuff that I’ve tried. I bought my first bottle in Tennessee in summer 2019 shortly after it was first released. I had read about it online and was eager to give it a try. Despite my expectations, I was disappointed as I had expected much more from a 13-y-o whiskey. I was even more surprised to see it named Whisky of the Year. This second bottle, however, is quite different from the first. The aroma is sweet, spicy and a touch floral. It tastes quite smooth and full-bodied. It honestly reminds me of Four Roses SB, which is quite baffling considering its low rye content; it may have something to do with the unique strain of yeast used by George Dickel. There’s quite a bit of corn flavor there as well. Brown sugar, nutmeg, caramel and oak define the tongue-dazzling performance that entertains with each sip. This is a sugary, oaky dram that has been blessed by its time in the wood and was bottled at its peak, no doubt. Compared to Dickel Barrel Select, this is a whole different ballgame. Barrel Select is much lighter and has more of a Tennessee whiskey feel while GD bib tastes like good old-fashioned bourbon. The first bottle I tried seemed thin and harsh, but this one is quite the opposite. That signature Dickel yeast flavor is definitely present, but it melds perfectly with the corn and rye flavors to produce a solid bourbon. I still don’t know if this was worthy of all the awards it received, but it’s certainly a strong contender and a wonderful new release.
  7. nknabel

8. cdaniels10

High Oak, Char
  9. nmatuschak

Wow, this is absolutely delicious. Amazing aromas right out of the bottle - the cinnamon hits you first, followed but subtler but still very present notes of orange, citrus, and nutmeg. On the palate, an initial hit of heat quickly gives to a burst of flavors so complex I can’t even name them all - but I definitely detected ash, leather, anise, and a hint of sherry on the finish. I can definitely see why this won Whiskey Advocate’s Whiskey of the Year - I’m not sure I’ve ever had an American whiskey this complex and multi-layered.
  10. radric