Glenfiddich Fire & Cane

Glenfiddich // Speyside, Scotland

1. jonwilkinson7309

I've always liked good smoky and sweet drams, so this one intrigued me. It's not like anything I've ever tried. The fire is here - peat and spice. This the first peated Speyside I've tried, and it does seem a bit different than Islay peat. There is sweetness, although I've always felt that run finishes are nice but not as powerful as Sherry or port. The finish goes from peat to a grapefruit bitterness. Overall, I like it. It's not perfect, and it tastes like the malt is still young. But there are some nice things going on, and overall it works for me. And the price is right - I picked up a bottle for $39.
  2. amberdogepants

Cinnamon, apple, smoke
  3. Jdumbaugh

4. Denis-Villeneuve

84.95 CAD per Bottle
  5. bullets

strong, Sweet and smoky when neat. On rocks very smooth, peaty
  6. DrMogulf

7. phishyfood

Not a fan. Sweetness overload and spice on back end. Overpriced for this bottle. $50 usd Many better bottles out there in this price range in my opinion.
  8. jdeckert

9. IzzyMatos

10. Scott_E

Settling down this Friday. It’s been some time since I actually sat and sampled. Courtesy of @PBMichiganWolverine and my ample backlog of samples, deciding what taste is not a problem. Just the thing we call time. The color shows as lightly golden. Peat is very detectable and forward, but doesn’t dominate the dram. In the subtle peat, sweetness is all around: Vanilla pudding, honey, butterscotch, maple syrup. Of course there is a mix of orchard and tropical fruits. Peaches, pineapple, pears, dried apricots. There is a slight youthful quality detectable to the nose which I would guess to be 8 or 9 years. In a oily, medium weighted body, the youthfulness is also detectable on the palate which provides a edginess of cinnamon and pickled ginger. Amongst the prickly sensation, the sweeter side takes root. Butterscotch, vanilla, sucrose, within a cereal. As you chew, hold or swirl, the sweetness turns bitter leading towards the finish. That finish is lemon oil with charcoal or soot. The citric bitterness fades rather quickly ultimately leaving the palate dry, woody and sooty. All in all, an average with a nice bouquet but lacks a memorable or unique characteristics. The rum finish adds a sweetness that provides some dimension to the body. However, It’s not one I would actively seek out. Worth a try but maybe not worth a buy. [83/100][Tasted: 7/12/19]