Hazelburn 12 Year

4. Chaase-Byrne

Tasted October 4, 2020
    5. cqcumber

Tasted July 8, 2020
      Quite a pricey bottle here in the states. Paid $100+. Color: gold Nose: citrus, lemon zest, honey, traces of smoke, light and funky. Palate: sweet malt, light fruitiness, but quickly overwhelmed by the oak bitterness, it’s quite tannic and woody, hint of smoke, together with the heat from the alcohol made it quite unpleasant. Finish: medium length, bitter oak and tannic taste lingers in your mouth This is just too much wood, the casks were probably refilled many times and were certainly at its last legs. Quite disappointing dram from my favorite distillery Springbank. If they used quality cask this could’ve been a great bottle.
    6. jack_hsu

Tasted April 2, 2020
      平淡不刺激的甜花香。入口上香氣,甜蜂蜜感
      醉侠酒馆
    7. Spamin76

Tasted October 23, 2019
      The nose is very malty with a big dose of salt and a hint of caramel and some oak. I get some dry sherry notes, something like fino. The palate is definitely light, with lots of biscuity malt at the front. The flavor is light, but the texture is oily. It's got a bit of a funky flavor, which I associate with Springbank, it's probably in part due to the sherry cask aging. There is a pleasant saltiness to the whole package. I get sherry notes in this, but they are dry - more like fino and not PX. I get a bit of lemon zest, again likely from the sherry. Something about the finish reminds me of yellow cake. The finish is very astringent with some dry woody notes, but it's not "licking a board" woody. This is not my favorite whiskey from the Springbank family, but it's definitely unique amongst their lineup. It's one of the most malt forward scotches that I've had in recent memory.
    8. dhsilv2

Tasted October 21, 2019
      I swear, gets harder and harder to remember which bottles I've yet to review here. Will be nice once I finish reviewing my open bottles so I know they're all in here :) Nose - sherry is the first thing that comes to mind. There's that classic springbank element here, I know some have called it sulfer but its' something else. It's sparky, gives me a bit of a vinegar note, oak is a part of it. It's almost like going into a rickhouse where wine has been spilled over the oak, it's gone a bit sour, but then I get a buttery bread and caramel. Taste - There's a lot of oak on here, it might be the most oak forward springbank. The sherry I get in big ways on the nose is much more subtle here. I would guess a lot of the oak here is pretty tired and well used. It's sweet up front then turns bitter and given a bit sour, there's a bitter bite from oak tannin. The finish brings in some off sweetness almost an aspartame note (though it's not a bad thing as that note tend to be) and then it heats up on the mouth and brings with it more of the oak and sherry notes again. Just noticed but should note there's a bit of salt at the end I almost missed. Unpeated but I dunno, I get some elements of peat here all be it in low parts. Hazelburn has been for me a weak spot in the springbank lineup (minus the oloros sherry 13 and 14 year bottles) and this is as springbank goes one of their lesser offerings. It doesn't drink like a 100+ dollar bottle of whisky. It is however complex as can be and frankly it's if not in the context of being a springbank, it's really good. Still I can't go over a 2.0 here. I would struggle to find who to recommend this one to. This is for someone who just wants to drink everything from Campbeltown of course I am most certainly one of.
    9. bac231

Tasted June 7, 2019
    10. KRB80

Tasted May 6, 2019
      Nose: sherry influence is immediately apparent. Marzipan, figs, apples, sugar cookies, slightly grassy, cashews, a touch of funk Taste: follows the nose...marzipan, fig butter, apples, chocolate-orange, nutty, a bit of sulphur. Finish: this is where, imo, this whisky falls off. It’s short, a bit strident, and bitter with some sulphur notes and a touch of peatiness although this isn’t Peated. Not worth the MSRP of approx 90-95 dollars in the USA but I scored a couple bottles on Black Friday at a liquor store who clearly had no idea wth they were doing for $12/ bottle. All in all, I’d say it was worth it.
    Results 1-10 of 79 Tastes