ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW

Remove ads, get access to premium features, and more with
Distiller Pro

John J Bowman Single Barrel Bourbon

A. Smith Bowman // Virginia, USA

1. Herr_WHIM

Very very sweet right out of the gate. Lots of vanilla and a subtle light spice. The finish is long with lingering sweetness.
    Talbot Hall Pub
  2. JeremyDG

It is a good sipping bourbon, but there isn't a flavor profile on nose or taste that wows. Equally drinkable straight or with a drop of water. No burn for 100 proof
  3. loganmillermusic12

4. David-Mouser

5. seminole

6. BeerNinjaEsq

Not much going on here. Drinks the slightest but hot but otherwise even with proof. Nose: light ethanol/mail polish first and foremost. A touch of strawberry and old school bubblicious or bubble gum; also maybe grape soda. Taste: drinks cold and minty on the front with a heavily herbal, tobacco-like finish. Medium long finish; surprisingly longer than I would expect considering the lack of nose. Second sip is more caramel-like after the mid-palate turn, but still spicy and minty in the front. Drinks hot.
  7. michaelgraves

8. drewhewitt

9. Danny-Windisch

Soooo good
  10. Skymecca

I picked up this John J Bowman after reading that this is Buffalo Trace distillate, distilled once (or twice, the stories vary) at Buffalo Trace before being shipped to Bowman in Virginia who distills it once more and then ages it about 10 years in upright barrels, which I've never heard of before. It's also a single barrel and bottled at 100 proof - basically bottled in bond, at least by ABV and age. There is a dispute over whether this is Mash Bill #1 low rye (Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, EH Taylor), Mash Bill #2 (Blantons, Rock Hill Farms) or even a mixture of the two. To me, it's clearly Mash Bill #1, but my only qualification as a bourbon expert is that I slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night. So this sounds like triple distilled, slightly older EH Taylor Single Barrel to me - what's not to like? I didn't want to get my hopes up too far that a $50 bottle I'd never heard of was as good or better than Blantons or EH Taylor. But it exceeded my expectations. It's Buffalo Trace through and through, and it may be better than others I've tried. The nose is full on caramel apple - just great. There is also a hefty dose of oak and a little bit of spice and dark fruit - cherry. The palate goes straight towards spice and cherry pie. Very sweet and delicious. Finish is extremely cherry heavy, almost too much - but I'm not sure there is something too cherry-heavy for me. I love it. The tiniest bit of spice, but I have a hard time believing this is Buffalo Trace's high rye Mash Bill #2. I swear that Eagle Rare has the same rye tingle if you chew. It's not much, but it's there and nice. Then again, I've only had Blantons on the Mash Bill #2 side and it's not exactly spicy. So who knows? Seems to me to be very similar to the EH Taylor although this Bowman has heavier fruit/caramel flavors and less toffee/floral flavors. I will have to compare this to EH Taylor, Blantons and Eagle Rare as well in blind tastings, but I'm confident this will do well thanks to the slightly higher proof. I'm really happy with this one - I don't have to close my eyes and imagine that the delicious BT flavor profile is available all day for $50 at my local store. It's simply a matter of where this end up in a blind tasting and how much of it I decide to buy in case this becomes the next tater bottle. Love it!