Kaiyō Japanese Mizunara Oak Cask Strength

Blended Malt

Kaiyō // Japan

1. Soba45

This one has been very well reviewed by the gang. Sandlewood, cinnamon, and other flavor notes I agree with. I think you can however often tell the measure of a cask strength whiskies maturity and complexity or lack thereoff by the way it handles water. I think this was better cask strength personally even if it was a bit hot and slightly out of balance at that abv. A bit of water and time bought out slightly bitter characteristics and diluted the flavor and a bit more overpowered it and turned it into watery ethanol. Interesting to experience Japanese wood influence though. I'd like to try the 46% offering to see if the offical watering down is more successful than my haphazard method.
  2. BeerRay

5. eliburtonwatts

6. petrarchanmotif

Little Toasted
  7. dubz480

First off I'd like to thank @LeeEvolved for this wonderful sample. This is a great example of one I would not have otherwise tasted given how difficult a pour is to find and the high price point for a completely unknown quantity on my end. I am truly grateful to have the chance to taste and really another reason this app is so awesome! A couple of fun facts about this one. Kaiyo means ocean in Japanese and it's fitting as all their Whiskey's do spend time being aged at sea (amount of time is undisclosed). So you could say this is the Japanese version of Jefferson's Oceans series! It's a 100% malt that's double distilled, however it's not a single malt. Its a "teaspoon" malt that is largely from one distillery but contains a small amount from another. This then prevents them disclosing where it's sourced from. On to the tasting! On the palette it's so smooth and quite viscous with banana, vanilla and an array of nuts. Mid palette brings some woody notes (I assume that is the Miz oak) and black tea leading to a sandalwood, spice and slight brine finish that's a tad drying. It's also incredibly easy to drink at cask strength and holds up really well to dilution. Adding water it stayed very flavorful and I found it amplified the sweet notes. It's a really playful, slightly brash fun Whisky that I am glad to have sampled. I think at $109 locally, the price is too high for what you get. With how well it stood up to water I am thinking I will buy a bottle of the regular proofing for $55. Thanks again @LeeEvolved and cheers all!
  8. leer

9. LeeEvolved

The Kaiyo Japanese Mizunara Oak was a bottle I reviewed a few months back and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It had tropical fruits and cinnamon sweetness in spades and was well presented at 46% ABV. I picked it up for just under $55 and even though it’s NAS- it was really, really good. Well, this is it’s hot-headed brother- same whisky, just bottled at near cask strength of 53% ABV. It’s not that much hotter, but it did add $30 to the price point. This whisky is non-chill filtered, but does have added coloring that makes it appear as new gold with copper highlights. It’s rather oily, with huge droplets and fast forming legs in your tasting glass. The nose begins with freshly crushed, cinnamon sticks and less citrusy, tropical fruits: think papaya and mango, instead of oranges and lemon. There’s some faint pineapple in there, too. There’s a nutty quality at play and a heavy sense of the ABV heat. The palate delivers on the tropical flavors, again before the harsher notes of youthful spirit barge in and take over. Red Hots candies supply the cinnamon and crazy good, sugary sweetness at the midpoint. The healthy dose of lingering heat is supplied by the extra ABV and it ultimately leads to a drier than anticipated mouthfeel. The finish is lingering heat and cinnamon candy with oak barrel astringency. It finishes very dry. Overall, I love the balance between tropical and cinnamon notes, but I think the regular version does a better job at presenting this in the perfect light. The Mizunara casks add a depth of flavor, but either the whisky is just too young to allow those flavors to shine or it’s just a little too strong. This was still a very enjoyable bottle, worthy of 3.5+ stars, but the dilution to 46% puts it closer to a beautiful, NAS offering. Not to mention you can save yourself $25-30. As this is presented, I’d give it 3.75 stars. Cheers.
  10. beittenmiller