Laphroaig Cairdeas 2018 Fino Cask Finish

Laphroaig // Islay, Scotland

1. mddamiano

2. Jose-Massu-Espinel

Since i really really loved the Laphroaig Cairdeas 2017 cask strength, i bought that one and it came with this 2018 cairdeas Fino cask expression, which is a very good dram, but inferior to the 2017 one. Fino is a type of sherry but a white wine sherry (¿?) Which tends to be more tropical just as white wine. Bottled at 51.8% amber color. On the nose: Bonfire, Lemon, Burnt hay, Grapefruit, Citric and peat. Pure peat. Gun powder; Toffee very dim; Sea food. Shells. Oysters. On the palate, Grapefruit, Ashes, Mint and Oysters. It has an Earthy - beachy profile. Aftertaste is medium long, with a mixture of spices: Smoke, Sulphur, Salt, Pepper and Wasabi. Overall this is a very enjoyable dram, you dont feel the 51.8%abv anywhere, but it seems like it lacks "that certain something" to step up and become not just a good whisky, but a great one. 89/100.
  3. olarsen

4. MajorHop

5. simonemarazzi

6. PK19

7. airfrk3819

Not as smoky as other laphroaigs on the nose. A bit of the sherry like influence on the nose also. Palate seems thin to me. Smoke doesn’t overpower this one. It is present but with richness and sweetness as the main player to me. Finish is medium with pepper and flora notes. The more I drink the more chili pepper notes I get on the finish. The first time a tried this bottle I wasn’t a fan because of the sweetness. While it still isn’t my favorite laphroaig I’ll bump my rating to a 4.0 on this dram. Wouldn’t buy another bottle but not mad I have this one.
  8. riskywhiskey

9. Ryan-Macarandang

10. Whiskey_Hound

The Cairdeas line is quickly becoming one of my favorite lines in all of whiskey. The 2017 Quarter Cask Cask Strength is one of my all-time favorites, and I'm quite liking this 2018 Fino Cask. Let's just jump right in. Nose: Seaweed, sea salt, and peat smoke jump out of the glass. Campfire smoke. Iodine, band-aid, and ash. Vanilla, honey, and butterscotch sweet notes. Almond and hazelnut. A bit of lemon, apricot, and pear. Soft pretzel. It's primarily briny and salty, but there is also some secondary smokiness and sweetness. Palate: More sea salt and brine, campfire smoke and iodine. Now with some smoked brisket. Toffee, malt, vanilla, honey, and butterscotch. The Fino cask starts to come through here. Some plum, red grape, golden raisin, and poundcake. There's also lemon and orange citrus, as well as pear, apple, and apricot. Big ashy notes at the tail end of the palate. Like waking up the morning after a campfire in the woods. Superb. Finish: Salt, cinnamon, black pepper. Nice and spicy as a high-proof Scotch should be. More of the orchard and citrus fruit. Vanilla and caramel sweetness. Long, phenomenal finish. Awesome stuff. The nose is a bit reserved for a Laphroaig, but is quality nonetheless. The palate and finish are as brash and compelling as any Islay malt I've had. Top mark for this one. If you force me to choose, I'd give the nod to the 2017 Quarter Cask Cask Strength. But my preference is marginal. The fact is that this is a spectacular whisky. 5 stars. Stay tuned for my review of the 2016 Marsala Cask release. Well done, Laphroaig.