Laphroaig Càirdeas 2019 Triple Wood Cask Strength

Tasted September 8, 2019
      125.0 CAD per Bottle
    5. Generously_Paul

Tasted August 31, 2019
      It’s been a good long while since I’ve had a Laphroaig and it’s high time I corrected that. Thankfully I have this sample of the latest Cairdeas release, the 2019 Triple Wood Cask Strength, that was sent to me by the one and only @LeeEvolved. Bottled at an intimidating 59.5% ABV and is non chill filtered and natural color of dark amber. Strong sherry notes on the nose at first that mask the typical Laphroaig profile, but that medicinal peaty goodness comes through soon after. Smoky sherry with some strong oaky notes and a trace of menthol. Rich but not all that sweet. The sherry begins to dominate again with plums, cherries and dark berries. A mild nuttiness with that classic Laphroaig medicinal notes coming in like iodine and bandaids. Vanilla, toffee, lemon custard and salted caramels. Water brings down the peat and lets the sherry shine, though both aspects are subdued. The palate is intense, hot and rich. Super peaty, ashy with charred oak. The sherry notes are there but almost completely hidden by the heat and peat. Salty and peppery. Dark cherries and cherry pie. Water takes the intensity down considerably but it is still very peaty with plenty of sherry and cherries. A medium-full bodied mouthfeel that is hot, oily, mouth coating and then turns dry. The finish is medium long to long, thick, sherry richness, peaty, cherries, and dry. While I feel that this cask strength version is better than the standard 48% version, I think it’s just a bit too much. Somewhere in the 52-55% range would have really been the sweet spot. Great sherry flavors with a nice peaty backbone. While I can’t say it’s better than the 2013, 2014 or 2018 Cairdeas releases, it’s oh so much better than the 2017 release. Probably on par with the 2016. So I’m going to give this a 4.25 and say that if you can handle cask strength whiskies then definitely try to find one of these. Cheers.
    6. edcfoz

Tasted August 23, 2019
      Absolutely one for those who love smokey, peaty whiskey. It’s a bit too intense with the peat for my personal taste but I totally get why people would love this, as with Laphroaig generally.
    7. dstyles23

Tasted August 23, 2019
    8. malt_muser

Tasted August 8, 2019
      Check out my uncorking review here: https://youtu.be/gKe2818JubI
    9. Richard-ModernDrinking

Tasted August 5, 2019
      The first of two Cairdeas samples kindly supplied by @LeeEvolved is this year’s release, the cask-strength Triple Wood. I’m not sure if I’ve ever tasted the regular bottling, so my only touch point going in is that I enjoyed the cask strength Quarter Cask edition a couple of years ago. The nose is immediately appealing, nutty and treacly with a touch of peppery spice and cloves. Neat, it taste gorgeous, flavors of orange chocolate sandwiched between bursts of pepper. The finish is faint chocolate, dry and nutty. Despite the high ABV, which is 59.5%, contrary to the Distiller description, this is surprisingly easy to drink at cask strength. So if you’re comfortable consuming your whiskies at this power then you’re in for a treat. Personally, I prefer mine at 46-50% so that I can stretch my alcohol allowance over a couple of drams. Unfortunately, this doesn’t take water very well: diluting it to 50% amplifies the peat and reduces the texture and complexity. As such, I wouldn’t buy a bottle of this, but if you’re happy sipping it undiluted it easily warrants four stars. Triple thanks, Lee.
    10. Spamin76

Tasted August 3, 2019
      I didn't add any water, drinking this straight at 59.5%. Smells like smokey barbecue and sherry. Typical Laphroaig flavor, the smoke is front and center, if a bit mellowed in this release. I taste the coast, seaweed, iodine, salt, black pepper, but there is also a lot of wood, which should come as no surprise in a Triple Wood. The finish is long with ash, wood, but also sherry sweetness. The sherry stands it's ground - it's just the right amount - you can taste some dates/nuts/raisins, but it's well integrated and not excessive. This is a well balanced, robust, but sweet Laphroaig.
    Results 81-90 of 96 Tastes