Lost Distillery Auchnagie

Blended Malt

Lost Distillery // Scotland

1. robertwayne64024

The Auchnagie tasts of pie crust, subtle dried fruit, honey, and distinct sweetness. There is a slight spiciness.
  2. robertwayne64024

have been curious about the Lost Distillery Company vatted malt recreations of closed distilleries. I found three of them available in a large liquor store in KC. All three are non-chill filtered and there is no caramel for color; all pour a light straw color. My purchases were Benachie--43% ABV--$50, Stratheden--46% ABV--$60, and Auchnagie--46% ABV--$60. All three have good legs in the glass. The Benachie tasts of pie crust, subtle dried fruit, honey, and distinct peat. Not a peat monster, but it is very present. The Auchnagie is similar, less dried fruit, no smoke, and a little sweeter and a pleasant spiciness. I would give it a 4.2 The Strathden is similar to the Auchnagie, though perhaps a little sweeter, the spiciness seems more peppery, a hint of smoke, and there is a mild astringency or saltiness to this dram. I give this one a 4.1 rating. I wish these were more readily avaiable and at a lower price; for there are several wonderful single malts out there equal to or better than these vatted malts at an equal or lower price. That being said, I am glad I purchased these and will probably purchase them again in the future. They are unique and are in a sense works of art--the blender's art. I respect and appreciate that. And I understand all that effort to match the various malts in the just the right proportions must be very labor intensive; and, that will also show in the final retail price. I wish they disclosed what whiskies they used in the blends as Compass Box does, but, that is life. Cheers!
  3. ZacChastain

4. asanfratello

5. mikeibra

6. KeesKarelse

7. DavidSquires

8. jgerdes87

9. Tried this at the whisky extravaganza. Interesting time in history. This is fruity, honey, and citrusy.
  10. egilschmidt