Mezan Panama Rum 2006

Aged Rum

Mezan // Panama

1. Paggy

Rum isn't my usual drink. I usually stick to scotch or beer. However, this rum has me reconsidering that. I don't have the best nose, but I would describe the smell as tropical fruit without being too sweet. The taste is great as well in the same tropical fruit way. I like that Mezan does not add sugar, and I am going to pick up a few more bottle before people catch on to this brand.
    52.0 EUR per Bottle
  2. herefordrum

3. vinomelody

4. Kerglin

5. Scott_E

Like most, I have mostly been exposed to the common rums (Bacardi, Captain, Morgan, etc). Been trying some cognac and tequila and now been able to sample a "higher quality" rum thanks to Pranay who was able to provide me a generous sample. Give some time to open and you can definitely pick up the sweetness with notes of toffee or dark brown sugar and fruitiness like dried pineapple and apricots. Sweet but not overly so. Toffee and a bit of oak and a touch of spice balanced well. Leaves the mouth somewhat dry and that touch of toffee sweetness, lingers. I did not know what to expect from a "quality" rum and found this rather enjoyable. Add a touch of water to sweeten the rum. Makes a good summer sipper; light and slightly sweet and a nice departure from whisky, however not too much of a departure, mainly from bourbon aging. Dried glass: Faint caramel. [Tasted: 08/19/16]
  6. PBMichiganWolverine

I've been trying outside my comfort zone of red wine and whiskey, and started dabbling a bit in rum. So far I've had two other rums---a Kraken and Don something-or-other. I found both extremely sweet, like sucking on an artificial sweetener. It turns out the reason is that most rums add sweetener, while this one is without sweetener or coloring. Sort of the non-chill filter and caramel color in whiskey trend I guess. I think this is the first rum I didn't find overly sweet, and complex enough to make it a hot midsummer night sipper. I still can't find anything on the nose like a whiskey, but the taste is definately of papaya, caramel, and tangy sweet fruits like kiwi. Quite good. I paid $50 for it...which makes think if good rum is any cheaper or not than a decent whiskey. Probably not.