Murray Hill Club Blended Bourbon

Jos. A. Magnus & Co. // (blended & bottled in Washington D.C.), USA

1. derekweinerfsu23

2. BlimpsGo90

Neat. Sample. Batch 20. Never had this Joseph Magnus before. So the nose is musty. Wet wood and leaves. It’s very dark. Raisins and prunes. Okay some butterscotch is emerging and it reminds me a lot of MGP light whiskey. I know some 9ish year light whiskey is in this and I can pick that out. Sweet old oak is emerging too, reminds me of Rhetoric 24. Hint of mandarin orange. Vanilla frosting. It’s lightening up since that dark first impression. Oh, I just got a really nice maple note. This is all over the place. Let’s see if it comes together on the taste. Oily but light in texture. Almost fluffy like air. Cinnamon and brown sugar are conquering my tongue. Making me pucker even. Okay, the taste is very familiar MGP territory. The upfront vanilla sweetness is overwhelming and I am getting a hint of those orange still. Transitions to butterscotch and that remains the dominate note. Sweet oak comes out on the finish as well. There is a strange harshness to it on the back end. There is an aftertaste I would equate to prunes as well and it is hanging with me for way too long. Going to get some water to give it one last shake. A palate reset helped. That harsh note that started building subsided and the sweetness is coming out again. It will be interesting to see if the harshness builds up again as I work on the second half of this sample. I have passed on this bottle quite a few times over the years. Love MGP, love Joseph Magnus but reviews were always divisive and it’s not a cheap bottle to buy without solid reviews backing it. Glad I never purchased this. It’s a bit muddied, odd, lacks a stand out note to hang my hat on. The aftertaste is a bit odd too and it’s building up again after a few more sips. Yep harshness is building up too. The more I sip on it without water in between, the funkier it gets.
  3. Bourbon_Obsessed_Lexington

Batch 7, bottle 334 of 700. Older bottle style, 103 proof. The color is an hue of orange. The nose following a neck pour is light with a whiff of ethanol. There’s toasted oak, stewed peaches with cinnamon, a bit of milk chocolate... pepper, cigar. Oh this hits like water on the back of the tongue with an oily finish. Pecans, vanilla, a bit of heat and then a yeast roll, orange peel and tobacco finish. This is what I’d hoped for! Blasphemous comment incoming - this is what a $200, marked up bottle of Elmer T Lee should taste like. The bright, sweet and oaky palate is complemented by an oily, slightly hot and lingering finish that America’s other light whisky company can’t proof or make enough of. At ~$100 this is not a value per se and would be unaffordable as an every day sipper. I can’t comment on more recent batches but this just does it for me. It’s not the clove, mineral and honey laden Remus from MGP. It’s also not the bold, leathery JM triple cask finish. It’s an entirely different, and truly lighter, more floral/earthy and almost BT-like bottle. Debating running back for another bottle before it’s gone, largely due to bourbon FOMO, my inner tater, and the fact that Elmer T Lee won’t be back in my neck of the woods for some time.
  4. Scott-McCammon

A bit of oak and cherry and vanilla on the nose. Very nice warming spice with just a slight burn. It’s good but not sure for the price.
  5. ick

6. Kolburt

7. ContemplativeFox

The nose takes the regular Magnus and adds more fruit, removing some of the wet wood. It has a rich and savory presence, but one that is less pronounced than that of the regular Magnus. The palate is quite nice with a big hit of cinnamon and toffee without being too harsh up front. There's a lot of vanilla too, making this really hedonistic. It's very woody with rich dark chocolate notes dancing with red fruit and spice. It lacks the brashness and leather of regular Joseph Magnus, though it also lacks the wet wood (the wet wood really works in the regular Joseph Magnus though). It has more fruit and the vanilla and brown sugar are less present. This tastes more like a (very well executed) standard bourbon than regular Joseph Magnus does. The balance is excellent with just the right amount of tartness. From every direction, this is a wonderful drink. Between the two, I think I slightly prefer regular Joseph Magnus, but this has an amazing balance that slightly surpasses Booker's Shiny Barrel with water added and also beats Booker's Shiny Barrel in complexity. There's a ton going on here, like another evolution from Evan Williams Black to Jim Beam Black to this!
  8. ShatteredArm

9. whiskeyfishin

10. dhsilv2

I've brought you batch 18 so now lets go back 6 batches to batch 12. Nose - Very light, vanilla, cream, touch of oak, touch of caramel. There's a bit of oak spice at the end. Taste - A light toasted bourbon with focuses on sweetness, really bringing me back to a lot of the notes I get on say a well full proof or CYPB. It's that highly inviting and welcoming bourbon that I think has become out of hand popular. This one brings in some age and some refinement that makes me start thinking about the van winkles. Now, I'm virtually positive this isn't a wheated anything, and I don't taste wheat but it is that mellow and relaxed yet highly enjoyable balance here that I'm more focused on. I get some bubble gum notes, some kinda of puffed sugar, and just a touch of leather. Honestly, I'm not sure I'm getting 12+ year old bourbon here, but at the same time, I'm 100% sure I'm getting whisky that with a buffalo trace logo on it, would sell for 500+ secondary. So batch 18 vs 12? 18 is bolder, spicier, less refined, the finish is longer with sparks and bitter notes coming through. They do share similar flavor profiles as I get the creams and lighter vanilla notes, and perhaps say a hint of a vanilla wafer. The batch 12 is that van winkle refined whisky, the 18 is a store pick of weller 107, less refined, but still good. If you like a bit of punch get the newer batches. If you are looking for that refined ultra high end bourbon experience without a CS note, I think these older bottles will do it for you. I don't know when Nancy had to start using higher proof barrels but I do think something changed pretty materially between batch 12 and 18. As a whisky connoisseur I would be hard pressed side by side to not tell you the batch 12 is a superior product. I however as a whisky drinker think a lot more bourbon geeks might lean towards this 18. I gave the 18 a 3.25 which is a great score and this one has to come in at 3.75. The amount of refinement while bringing in some older whisky notes really to me pushes this one up in terms of overall quality, but for those who aren't looking for a bookers punch but still need a bit of a kick, batch 18 might be more your jam. Watch Nancy tell me batch 12 and 18 are basically the same and that I'm a fool. Either way, I'm a happy camper with the batch 12 while the batch 18 left me feeling something was off.