Octomore 07.2/208 Cask Evolution

2. Dan-Clements

3. andrewk30

4. andrewk30

5. AJ_Chou

Oct 2019. Clear light gold. Aromatic campfire, brine, Smoky dried herb, oily malt biscuits in the bouquet. Peated Smoky flavor with warm vanilla and dried nuts in palate. Awesome balance with warm peated dried spiciest and tea leaves in the aftertaste.
  6. jaredseto

7. jamesisntcool

Too smoky for me
  8. KeesKarelse

9. LeeEvolved

I found this sample hiding behind several knickknacks on the top of my refrigerator. It’s an old sample sent to me from my buddy @Generously_Paul, in what was probably a trade from over a year ago. It’s been even longer since I had a bottle of the Octomore 7.1. I guess it’s long passed time to get into this one, so let’s do this... The Octomore 7.2 is a 5 year old, heavily peated whisky from Bruichladdich. This series was also the last one done by master distiller Jim McEwan took part in- so, he made sure it was the most heavily peated ever: 208ppm. 7.2 was a blend of whisky aged in ex-American oak and French Shiraz wine casks. It’s bottled at 58.5% and I believe the bottle ran just shy of $200. This one was also considered a travel retail edition- so it was more limited. It’s a dull yellow in the taster with very oily and thin legs. Tiny droplets also form after a rigorous spin. The nose is typical Octomore: ashy peat and BBQ smoke with a side of salted fish. Tar and a slight band aid note add a special funk I don’t recall from any other Octomore I’ve tried (although it’s been awhile since I’ve had one and I’ve killed millions of brain cells since then, lol). The typical Shiraz wine notes aren’t apparent on the nose: I’m missing the grape must, tannins and dark chocolate- the peat is just too strong. The palate is deeply rich and full of peat and salty, sea air. The BBQ flavors are what’s subdued with this one. I did pick up some dark chocolate notes after adding a spritz of water to the sample, but it also brought forward some citrus notes instead of the wine fruitiness I was expecting. The mouthfeel is still luscious and somewhat heavy, but this is Octomore so that’s to be expected. There’s not much heat from the ridiculously high ABV, but we all know why that is, too. The finish is longer and spicier than I remember from other Octomores, but I do like that aspect. Scratch that- I LOVE that part. As the smoke and earthy peat tang fades it turns drier, but there still isn’t enough wine fruits to indicate the Shiraz casking. It’s not a bummer, just an observation. Ultimately, this is still a wonderful dram. I love the constant attack from the peat and salt and the richness just hangs there trying to make you whimper. The absence of heat is slightly scary, as I could keep filling the Glencairn if I had the bottle in front of me. It’s not better, and if I’m honest, not much different from what my notes about the 7.1 indicate- so, there’s no real reason to chase the exclusivity of this one over the 7.1. It still doesn’t live up to the Series 6, but I also wouldn’t toss this bottle out. 3.75-4 stars, maybe stretching to 4.25 when I’m in an Octomore frame of mind. If Bruichladdich keeps making these, I’ll keep trying them. Cheers. Also, speaking of @Generously_Paul - please check out his new YouTube channel, Dapper Drams. If you like your whisky review with some humor and shenanigans then you’ll be in luck and, if you look hard enough, you might even spot yours truly every now and again. Please support his hard work with a Like and maybe even a Subscribe. Thanks.
  10. E-Ganz

Interesting, but overall, it seems to me as an experiment more than a finished scotch... I imagine that these elements could be incorporated into others, Nose campfire smoke and bacon Palate very Peaty, smooth, and of course very smoky, and good body. Nice long finish However, the price is too high 3 cL sample
    FineNordic