Octomore Masterclass 08.3/309 Islay Barley

Octomore // Islay, Scotland

1. johnver

Super hot, like the first hour in NYC
  2. Michael-Smith1

30.0 USD per Pour
  3. andrekroe

Extreme peat smoke and fire, that is still smooth. Sticks to the palette.
  4. KyleR21

5. srosin

6. ScotchingHard

This is the peatiest scotch ever at 300 bajillion parts per million! The truth is that the Octomores are getting worse. The 6 series, in my opinion, was the pinnacle. Never tried 6.2, but the 6.1 is still the cheapest and one of the best octomores here in Maryland. The 6.3 is the best octomore I’ve had period. This 8.3 is pretty good. But not worth the price of my admission (241 USD). For peat heads, I agree that this is the peatiest thing I have ever tried, and I love peat, but I prefer a little more balance. Peat reek dominates the nose, with a tropical bend. Rotting mangoes and papaya being burnt on top of rotting vegetation. Pure detritus and hydrocarbons on the palate. There is a little bit of liquorice, which I don’t like, and associate with plastic and bad casks. The finish is ashy and savory. Smoked fish that was smoked again. And then smoked again. The sin on this whisky is that it tastes like it is too young. Previous X.3 Octomores are also 5 years old, but never did I get that impression. But, if you are looking for a peat bomb, this is the Tsar Bomba. I would value this at 200 USD. I overpaid a tad. 92/100
  7. tylerss20

Regardless of other people's feelings about exactly how peaty the 309 ppm phenols make it taste, this is the smokiest whisky I've ever had. The bouquet actually isn't as dominated by smoke as other peated malts, there is also some room for chocolate covered fruit and tea as well. But the palate is ALL peat. Black pepper, campfire, jerky, bacon, and brine in spades. It's one of very few pours that I found myself coughing and clearing my throat even after multiple sips. It is a palate ruiner. Like a super hopped up IPA, you won't be able to enjoy eating or drinking much else right after. The high proof and lingering, coating smoke stick around for a long time. This is a fascinating novelty, and a must try (at least once) for peat fans. Given the high cost and extreme nature of this scotch, I can't say I'd see myself buying it again.
    46.0 USD per Pour
  8. Deadmanhay

9. Jobak

10. prswiatkowski

Had this in vegas June 2018 at scotch 80 prime paid $70 for 2oz pour paired it with a bison filet. Everything a typical octomore would present but not better than the 6.3 or 7.4. For that reason I wouldn't drop the $200+ on this bottle but if 6.3 and 7.4 become unicorns this may be the next best thing. "