Octomore Masterclass 08.3/309 Islay Barley

Octomore // Islay, Scotland

1. rymac116

2. davidc

One of Bruichladdich's super heavily peated' whiskies at 309.1 ppm, compared to other typical Islay topping out at 40 ppm. The nose reflects the tar and heavy alcohol at 61.2%. Amazingly some of the sweetness still comes through. Typically drink in small sips with the taste of chocolate toffee quickly followed by the burn of alcohol and smoke. Enjoy for the uniqueness and the complexity under the peat. But not a drinking whisky and always the last drink of the day, leaving time for your taste buds to overcome the scorching.
  3. cringysipper

5. jake26point2

$38!!! Great after taste
    The Burns Pub & Restaurant
  6. LeeEvolved

Oh, Octomore...it’s been too long. I’ve always considered Octomore as THE love song to peatheads, like myself. I’ve skipped a few vintages since I didn’t necessarily feel the need to try them all. However, when Bruichladdich said the 8.3 Masterclass was the heaviest of them all, well I had to bite. They knew I would- and I hate them for it. This is just like your favorite Octomore- 5 years old and finished in multiple wine casks. This one boasts Islay barley exclusivity (terroir, bitches) and comes in at 309ppm. Can the human tongue even detect an amount that high? I doubt it. It looks good in print and on the packaging, though. It’s standard yellow gold with thin droplets and skinny legs- thanks to the hearty 61.2% ABV. You’ll think your local Dept of Transportation is paving your front yard as soon as the cork is popped. Ah, fresh tar... The nose is...(surprise!) fresh tar, burning tires and smoky alcohol. Pepper burn stings a bit if you get too friendly too early. Give it the time and distance it commands and you’ll pick up some nice, chocolate depth and rich, berry and plum sweetness- provided your nose works like it should. The palate is smoked peppers and a heavy, malt burn. Sugary toffee cremes really balance this out better than any Octomore I can remember. It’s oily and super rich- grasping your tastebuds and attempting to pull them from your tongue. Chocolate-dipped raspberries find their way into the corners of your mouth and do their best to counter the smoke and chili spices. It works. Really, really well. The depth is amazing. The finish is a bit rushed, as more chili and red pepper spice and heavy smoke coat everything. The youthful juice finally reveals some harsh aspects, but you’ll be so focused on how to get the burn to subside you may not notice it. The first few sips I had to restrain myself from reaching for some water to calm the fires. So, my first 2-3 drams were quite amazing here. I was ready to proclaim this the best Octomore I’ve ever had. Ready to score it a 6 on a scale to 5. Then, the oxidation took hold and really deadened this bottle for me. The final few drams seemed flat. Still smoky, still warming, but the fire was out. I started getting cola notes and soft, milky vanilla- which is something I don’t associate with Octomore. It didn’t kill the score, per se, but it was no longer a 6- hell, no longer a perfect 5. Like most Octomore I was sad to see the last few drops fall from the bottle, but my excitement fell with those drops. Maybe I don’t need Octomore anymore. I’m jaded. At $192, I’m not sure it’s a great deal anymore. Jesus, what’s wrong with me? What have I become? 4.25 stars. I’m sad to say that. Cheers, my friends.
  7. Caleb-Jones