Templeton Rye Barrel Strength Straight Rye (2019 Edition)

Rye

Templeton Rye // Indiana, USA

1. Grinch1979

Did some research on this one , each year Templeton specifically select the best barrels that they have in the aging warehouse. The ages of the barrels used vary year on year but apparantly they are between 6 and 12 years old. Maybe knowing a little bit more about this swayed my opinion but i thought it was fantastic , adding a little bit of water as i went allowed me to find the exact sweet spot that i wanted the abv to be for my tastes. Exactly what a cask strength straight rye whiskey should be. A great find.
  2. Swahili1

Appearance: rose and straw like with thin quick legs. Nose: Ethanol, dill, and saltwater taffy. The nose is very faint. Palate: There is a medicinal quality to it almost like isopropyl alcohol initially. This is a young tasting one for sure with a bit of chocolate. The palate is a bit more rich than the nose but this lacks substance for me. Needs more time in the barrel for sure. Finish: Quick and unfulfilling. The medicine taste lives on! Overall- Not the worst rye I have ever had but far from the best. It is young and has a distinct rubbing alcohol note that I just can't dismiss. So many better ones out there for the price. Old Forester Rye, Wheel Horse and WT101 Rye to name a few in the under 30.00 range that are way better than this one.
  3. emmcniff

4. 1chuckx

Opa Grill & Tavern
  5. mshap

6. Traveler

My son came home from NC for Christmas and he typically likes a rye. We were going to pick up something else but this one caught our eye. Flavor profile was spicy but just right. Smooth enough to sip but we used single ice ball and it was delicious. Try it, you won’t regret it.
  7. ghoulbuns1

8. ddirani4575

9. budde219

10. dubz480

Seeing this bottle pop up on Distiller reminded that I have been working thru this bottle but had yet to review it! I quite enjoyed last year's release and so when this popped up at my local Costco for under $50 it was an instant buy (SRP is $59.99 for reference). So what is this release all about? It's essentially a small batch of MGP sourced rye barrels that are vatted and released at Cask Strength. Thankfully this release doesn't include the chemical additive there other releases currently do (and hence the Straight designation and why I buy it). Is it any good? Let's dive in: On the palette it's rich and pretty smooth given the proof. Classic MGP notes of candied ginger, clove, pepper, dill and some toffee and slight vanilla to offset the spice. Definitely spicier than last year's release. Give this one some time to oxidize as it definitely improves. For the price paid it's a solid buy. If you don't mind dill and like MGP Rye profile this is a definite buy for you. Cheers all!
    Costco Wholesale